Subject: English

Class: 6
Chapter: TRUE FRIENDSHIP
Author: A Jataka Story (Adapted)
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
 


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction and Vocabulary Building

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, who is your best friend? Why do you like them?"
  • My Action: I will ask the pre-reading questions:
    • "Friends are an important part of our lives. Why do you think so?"
    • "What do you do with your friends?"
    • "How do you feel with your friend?"
  • My Action: I will create a mind map on the board.
    • With my friend I: play, study, share, talk, laugh.
    • I feel: happy, safe, loved, understood.
  • Example: "Riya, who is your best friend? What do you do together? How do you feel when you are with them?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the key vocabulary words from the story:
    • surrounded: encircled
    • leather trap: a trap made of leather used to capture something
    • edge: border
    • unfortunately: unwanted or a sorrowful situation
    • discover: find or learn something new
    • horrified: feeling shocked or fear
    • suggested: gave an idea or advice
    • pecking: hitting with a quick sharp motion
    • startled: felt sudden surprise
    • mustered up: gathered or collected strength
    • hurriedly: doing something quickly in a rush
    • yelled: shouted or cried out loudly
    • gnawed: bitten or chewed continuously
    • captured: taken control
    • rescued: saved from danger
    • reunion: gathering
    • hopeless: lack of hope
    • frustrated: not satisfied
    • relieved: comforted, glad
  • My Action: I will use the words in sentences.
  • Example: "The forest was surrounded by a lake. The hunter set a leather trap. The deer was horrified when he fell into the trap."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the pre-reading questions in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to share their answers with their classmates.
  • Example: "Rahul, what do you do with your friends? I play cricket with my friends."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share what friendship means to them.
  • Example: "Sita, what does friendship mean to you? Friendship means helping each other."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about a time a friend helped them.
  • Example: "Think about a time your friend helped you. How did you feel? We will discuss it tomorrow."

Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - First Part of the Story (Pages 40-41)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read the first part of the story 'True Friendship'. Let's find out about three friends and their adventure."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the first part of the story (Pages 40-41) aloud with proper expression.
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "Who were the three friends?"
    • "Where did they live?"
    • "What did the hunter do?"
    • "What happened to the deer?"
    • "How did the woodpecker and the tortoise help?"
  • Example: "The three friends were a tortoise, a deer, and a woodpecker. They lived in a forest surrounded by a lake. The hunter set a trap and the deer fell into it."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the story in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:
    • "In the story who were the three friends and where did they live?" - A tortoise, a deer, and a woodpecker. They lived in a forest surrounded by a lake.
    • "How did the hunter know about the presence of the deer?" - He saw the footprints of a deer near the lake.
    • "The trap was made of" - (b) leather
    • "The opposite in meaning of the word 'unfortunately' is:" - (iii) fortunately
    • "Why did the deer cry out?" - He was in fear and pain.
    • "Do you think his friends were able to help him?" - (Students' predictions)

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to predict what will happen next.
  • Example: "Do you think the friends will be able to save the deer? How?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about how they would help a friend in trouble.
  • Example: "If your friend was in trouble, what would you do?"

Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Second Part of the Story (Pages 41-42)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the first part by asking, "What happened to the deer? How did the woodpecker and tortoise try to help?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the second part of the story (Pages 41-42) aloud.
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "What did the woodpecker suggest?"
    • "What did the woodpecker do at the hunter's house?"
    • "How did the deer help the tortoise?"
    • "What happened at the end?"
  • Example: "The woodpecker suggested that the tortoise should chew the trap. The woodpecker flew to the hunter's house and attacked him. The deer distracted the hunter and saved the tortoise."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the story in groups.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:
    • "What did the woodpecker suggest to the tortoise?" - To chew the trap with his teeth.
    • "Why did the hunter stay in his house?" - The woodpecker was attacking him.
    • "'Beware! The hunter is approaching' who said this?" - The woodpecker.
    • "The deer hid himself in ____________. The tortoise hid himself in ____________. The woodpecker flew away to her ____________." - thick woods / water / nest
    • "What did they decide to do finally?" - To live happily together.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the theme of friendship.
  • Example: "How did the three friends show true friendship? They helped each other in danger."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about the moral of the story.
  • Example: "What is the moral of the story? True friends help each other in times of trouble."

Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us think and reflect' (Pages 43-44)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story by asking, "What happened in the story? How did the friends help each other?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us think and reflect' section (Pages 43-44).
    • Activity 1(a)(i): "Who was shocked and why?" - The deer was shocked because he fell into the trap.
    • Activity 1(a)(ii): "Write a word opposite in meaning of the word 'trapped'." - free
    • Activity 1(a)(iii): "The woodpecker flew down from ____________." - the top of the tree
    • Activity 1(a)(iv): "Woodpecker is ____________" - (friendly)
    • Activity 1(b)(i): "How did the deer make the hunter startled?" - He slowed down to let the hunter see him.
    • Activity 1(b)(ii): "Write the word which is in the story (last paragraph) similar in meaning to 'disappointed'." - hopeless / frustrated
    • Activity 1(b)(iii): "Are the tortoise, the woodpecker and the deer true friends? How?" - Yes, they helped each other in danger.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the activities in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the questions with their classmates.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their own experiences of friendship.
  • Example: "Have you ever helped a friend or been helped by a friend? What happened?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to write a short paragraph about a true friend.

Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Opposites, Past Tense)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about opposites and past tense."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain opposites (Pages 43-44).
    • Opposites: happy - unhappy, use - misuse, comfort - discomfort.
    • Puzzle: Across and Down.
      • Across: 5. D (deep), 6. P (pain)
      • Down: 1. F (free), 2. S (slowly), 3. U (unaware), 4. F (front)
  • My Action: I will explain past tense (Pages 44-45).
    • Simple Past Tense: Action happened recently. (lived, felt, fell, flew, hid, rescued)
    • Past Progressive Tense: Action was going on in the past. (was rescuing, was pecking, was getting)
    • Past Perfect Tense: Earlier action (Long Past). (had escaped, had entered, had happened, had done)
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the table.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the opposites puzzle.
  • My Action: I will ask students to select the correct form of the verb:
    • (a) We bought a new car yesterday.
    • (b) Anu was speaking to her brother when I arrived.
    • (c) I had done my homework before my mother came.
    • (d) Jinu left home ten minutes ago.
    • (e) I forgot my key at school yesterday.
    • (f) What were you doing at 3 o'clock yesterday?
    • (g) He sold his old bicycle last week.
    • (h) Debisha was not at home. She had gone to school.
    • (i) I was reading a story. My father came in.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to use the opposites in sentences.
  • Example: "I was happy but now I am unhappy. He is free, not trapped."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to write 5 sentences using past tense verbs.

Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen', 'Let us speak', 'Let us write'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will practice listening, speaking, and writing about friendship."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us listen' activity (Page 46).
    • I will read the transcript and students will fill in the blanks.
    • "The leopard is a wild animal but it became a friend of a cow. When the leopard grew up, it left the village. It only came at night to meet the cow. The leopard would sit near the cow. They also played together. People were surprised at their friendship."
    • Number the sentences in correct order:
      •  

1.     The cow took care of the leopard cub as a mother.

      •  

2.     The leopard left the village after growing up.

      •  

3.     The leopard stopped coming regularly.

      •  

4.     The leopard came to meet the cow at night.

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us speak' activity (Page 46).
    • Chain Drill: "Please, someone help me I have been trapped."
    • Talk to your friend and find out your common likes and dislikes.
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us write' activity (Page 47).
    • Write six sentences about yourself and six sentences about your friend.
    • Example:
      • I am Rahul. I like to play cricket.
      • My friend is Rohan. He likes to play football.
      • Both of us like to read story books.
      • I like to eat pizza, but my friend likes to eat burgers.
      • We are good friends because we help each other.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the listening and writing activities.
  • My Action: I will ask students to practice the chain drill in pairs.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their paragraphs about their friends.
  • Example: "Riya, can you read your paragraph about your friend? What do you both like to do?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.
  • Example: "In this unit, we read the story 'True Friendship'. We learned that true friends help each other in times of trouble. We also learned about opposites and past tense. Remember, friendship is a precious gift and we should always be a true friend."