Subject: English
Class: 6
Chapter: WHAT A BIRD THOUGHT
Author: Anonymous
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
Day 1
(Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction and Vocabulary Building
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)
- My Action: I will greet the class and
show the picture of a bird and its nest.
- My Action: I will ask the pre-reading
questions:
- "Where are the places you
see birds? What do you see the birds doing?"
- "Do you want to fly like a
bird? Why?"
- "What does a baby bird
think about its world?"
- My Action: I will conduct the
vocabulary matching activity.
- Example: "Riya, where do you
see birds? I see birds in trees, on roofs, and in the sky. They fly, sing,
and build nests."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the key
vocabulary words:
- pale: light in colour
- fluttered: moved lightly and quickly
- labour: hard work
- blind: unable to see
- nestled: settled comfortably
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the matching activity.
- (a) pale - light
- (b) fluttered - moved
lightly and quickly
- (c) finally - at last
- (d) labour - hard work
- Example: "Rahul, can you
replace 'pale' with its meaning? The colour of the feather was not dark
but light."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the poem silently.
- My Action: I will ask students to
identify the rhyme scheme.
- Example: "Sita, can you find
the rhyming words in the first stanza? 'House' and 'shell' don't rhyme.
'Well' and 'shell' rhyme."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about how their world has changed as they grew up.
- Example: "Think about how you
saw the world when you were a baby. How do you see it now?"
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about the perspective of a baby bird.
- Example: "What do you think a
baby bird thinks about its world? We will discuss it tomorrow."
Day 2
(Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Understanding the Poem (Stanzas 1-2)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will read the poem 'What a Bird Thought'. Let's find out how the bird's
view of the world changes."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will read Stanzas 1 and
2 of the poem aloud with proper rhythm and expression.
- My Action: I will explain the meaning
of each stanza.
- Stanza 1: The bird first lived in a
small, round, pale blue shell. It thought the world was like that.
- Stanza 2: The bird then lived in a
straw nest with its mother. It thought the world was made of straw.
- My Action: I will ask comprehension
questions:
- "What was the bird's first
house like?"
- "What was the bird's
second nest made of?"
- "Who lived with the bird
in the nest?"
- Example: "The bird's first
house was a small, round, pale blue shell. The second nest was made of
straw. The bird lived with its mother."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the poem in pairs.
- My Action: I will ask students to
answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:
- "Match the main ideas of
each stanza."
- Stanza 1 - (b) The
bird lived happily in a small world.
- Stanza 2 - (f) The
bird lived in a cosy nest with its mother.
- "Answer with a word from
the poem."
- (a) What was the shape of the
bird's first house? - round
- (b) What was the bird's second
nest made of? - straw
- (c) What did the bird see when
it came out of its nest? - leaves
- (d) What did the bird do at
the end? - flew
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
compare the bird's first two worlds.
- Example: "How was the bird's
first world different from the second? The first was a shell, the second
was a nest."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
draw a picture of the bird's nest.
- Example: "Draw the bird's nest
with straw and the mother bird."
Day 3
(Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Understanding the Poem (Stanzas 3-4)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will revise the first
two stanzas by asking, "What were the bird's first two homes?"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will read Stanzas 3 and
4 of the poem aloud.
- My Action: I will explain the meaning
of each stanza.
- Stanza 3: The bird fluttered out of
the nest and saw leaves. It thought the world was made of leaves.
- Stanza 4: The bird flew beyond the
tree. It realized it didn't know how the world was made.
- My Action: I will ask comprehension
questions:
- "What did the bird see
when it came out of the nest?"
- "What did the bird realize
at the end?"
- "What does the bird mean
by 'I have been very blind'?"
- Example: "The bird saw leaves
and thought the world was made of leaves. At the end, it realized it
didn't know how the world was made."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the poem in groups.
- My Action: I will ask students to
answer the 'Let us think and reflect' questions:
- "The bird changed its
house two times." - True
- "The neighbours tell the
bird about the world." - False
- (a)(i) "Who lived in the
nest along with the baby bird?" - Its mother
- (a)(ii) "The bird thought
the world was made of straw because" - b. Its nest was made
of straw
- (a)(iii) "Which word tells
us that the baby bird was warm and comfortable?" - nestled
- (b)(i) "Why did the bird
think the world was made of leaves?" - Because it saw leaves
around.
- (b)(ii) "How many times
the word 'I' is used in the poem?" - 10 times
- (b)(iii) "What does the
set of words 'I said' mean?" - c. spoke
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
discuss the bird's growth.
- Example: "How did the bird's
understanding of the world change? It started small and grew bigger."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about the meaning of the last stanza.
- Example: "What does the bird
mean by 'I don't know how the world is made, and neither do my
neighbours'? It means no one knows everything."
Day 4
(Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us think and reflect' (Pages 83-84)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will revise the poem by
asking, "What were the bird's different homes? What did it
learn?"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
think and reflect' questions (Pages 83-84).
- Question 3: "Why did the
baby bird think that its first world was small, round and blue?"
- Because it lived in a small, round, pale blue shell.
- Question 4: "Where did the
bird go when it fluttered from its straw nest?" - It went to
see what it could find.
- Question 5: "What quality
did the bird say it had, when it flew away?" - It said it
was "fit for grown-up labours."
- Question 6: "Who do you
think were the bird's neighbours? Why do you think so?" - Other
birds and animals in the forest.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the activities in their notebooks.
- My Action: I will ask students to
discuss the questions with their classmates.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their answers.
- Example: "Rahul, who do you
think were the bird's neighbours? The bird's neighbours were other birds
and animals."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about a time they learned something new.
- Example: "Think about a time
you learned something new and your world became bigger. We will discuss it
tomorrow."
Day 5
(Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Rhyming Words, Adjectives)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will learn about rhyming words and adjectives."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the rhyming
words activity (Page 84).
- Stanza 1: well - shell
- Stanza 2: other -
mother
- Stanza 3: find - blind
- Stanza 4: labours -
neighbours
- New rhyming words: fell,
tell, sell
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the new stanza:
- "I fly high and I fly low,
- But one thing I surely know.
- Whenever I wish to rest,
- My little nest is the best."
- My Action: I will explain adjectives
(Page 84).
- Describing words: pale, blue,
round, straw, little
- More adjectives: pointed,
green, thin, brown, round, small, wooden, hanging
- My Action: I will ask students to
create sentences using adjectives.
- (a) The pointed leaf
is green.
- (b) The small bird
is on the wooden branch.
- (c) The round nest
is brown.
- (d) The thin twig
is hanging.
- (e) The green leaves
are on the tree.
- (f) The beautiful bird
is singing.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the rhyming words and adjectives activities.
- My Action: I will ask students to use
adjectives in sentences.
- Example: "The small bird flew.
The green leaves are on the tree."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
describe their surroundings using adjectives.
- Example: "Riya, describe your
classroom using adjectives. It is a big, bright, and clean
classroom."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will assign homework to
find 10 adjectives in the poem.
Day 6
(Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen', 'Let us speak', 'Let us
write', 'Let us Explore'
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will practice listening, speaking, writing, and exploring."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
listen' activity (Page 85).
- I will read the transcript and
students will fill in the missing words.
- "I'm a parrot, my name is
Paro,
- My feathers are green and
they glow.
- In the morning, I spread my
wings,
- Fly around and see wonderful
things.
- Come with me through the skies
so blue,
- To places old and places new.
- Among the clouds,
where the breeze is light,
- Many new stars, oh,
what a sight!"
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
speak' activity (Page 85-86).
- Speak about which bird you
would like to be.
- "I am a parrot. I am green
and red in colour. I am a small bird. I have a curved beak. I live in a
tree hollow. It is in the forest. During the day, I fly and eat fruits. I
also talk to other birds. I want to tell humans to protect the forests."
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
write' activity (Page 86).
- Write how the world would look
to a baby and a fish.
- Baby: The world is big and
bright. There are many people. I see colours. I hear sounds. I feel soft
things.
- Fish: The world is blue and
wet. There are rocks and plants. I see other fish. I swim all day. The
water is cold.
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
Explore' activity (Page 86-87).
- Materials used to make homes:
bricks, cement, wood, glass, steel.
- Why our homes are not made of
straw? Because straw is not strong and can catch fire.
- If I had to own a home of my
choice, it would be a treehouse made of wood and glass.
- A home is different from a
house because a house is a building, but a home is where you feel loved.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the listening, speaking, and writing activities.
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their descriptions with the class.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their ideas about homes.
- Example: "Rahul, what would
your dream home look like? I would build a treehouse made of wood."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will summarize the unit.
- Example: "In this unit, we
read the poem 'What a Bird Thought'. We learned that as we grow, our
understanding of the world changes. We also learned about rhyming words
and adjectives. Remember, there is always more to learn about the
world."