Subject: English
Class: 6
Chapter: THE WINNER
Author: Georgia Heard
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
Day 1
(Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction and Discussion
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)
- My Action: I will greet the class and
show the picture of children playing.
- My Action: I will ask the pre-reading
questions:
- "What are these children
doing?" - They are playing.
- "Where do you think they
are?" - In a field or park.
- "What is the time of the
day?" - Evening.
- My Action: I will ask students to
discuss the given questions:
- "When do you go to play
after school?"
- "Who do you play
with?"
- "Where do you go to play
in the evening?"
- "Which games do you like playing?"
- "When do you come back
home?"
- Example: "Riya, when do you go
to play after school? I go to play at 5 PM. Who do you play with? I play
with my friends."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the key
vocabulary words from the poem:
- creek: a small body of water
- catch my breath: to breathe normally after
running
- aches: feels pain
- creep close: come nearer slowly
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their playtime experiences.
- Example: "Rahul, where do you
go to play in the evening? I go to the park near my house. What games do
you play? We play cricket and football."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the discussion in pairs.
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their answers with the class.
- Example: "Sita, can you share
your playtime routine? I go to play at 4 PM. I play with my brother and
friends. We play in the school ground. I come back home at 7 PM."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about their favourite playtime memory.
- Example: "Think about your
favourite playtime memory. What happened? We will discuss it
tomorrow."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about the word 'winner'.
- Example: "What does 'winner'
mean to you? Does the winner always have to be the one who scores the most
points?"
Day 2
(Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Understanding the Poem
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will read a poem called 'The Winner'. Let's find out who the winner
is."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will read the poem aloud
with proper rhythm and expression.
- My Action: I will explain the meaning
of each line.
- "Evenings, we play
ball" - The children play in the evening.
- "Next to the creek / In
our neighbour's field." - They play in the neighbour's field near a
creek.
- "We run so fast / I can't
even catch my breath." - They run very fast and get tired.
- "When blue dark turns to
black, / cold grass aches our feet," - Evening turns to night, the
grass becomes cold.
- "Trees creep close- /
game's over. / Night wins!" - The trees seem closer in the dark; the
game ends; night wins.
- My Action: I will ask comprehension
questions:
- "Where do the children
play?"
- "What happens when they
run fast?"
- "What happens when evening
turns to night?"
- "Who wins at the
end?"
- Example: "The children play in
the neighbour's field next to a creek. They run so fast they can't catch
their breath. When night comes, the game is over."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the poem in pairs.
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the 'Let us discuss' activity:
- "Next to the creek"
- near a small body of water
- "I can't even catch my
breath" - the child has been running
- "When blue dark turns to
black" - the sky changes from blue to black
- "Trees creep close"
- it is evening time
- My Action: I will ask students to complete
the paragraph:
- "The children play ball in
the field in the neighbour's field. They run
so fast that they run out of breath. They continue to
play till the evening when the blue sky turns black, and the
trees are not clearly visible. They can feel their feet ache now
that it is cold. Finally, they stop playing and go home
as it is night."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
describe a time they played until it was dark.
- Example: "Rahul, have you ever
played until it was dark? What happened? We played cricket until it was
dark and our parents called us home."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about why the poem is called 'The Winner'.
- Example: "Why do you think the
poem is called 'The Winner'? Who do you think wins?"
Day 3
(Period 3)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us think and reflect' (Pages 111-112)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will revise the poem by
asking, "What happens in the poem? Who wins at the end?"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
think and reflect' section (Pages 111-112).
- Activity 1(a)(i): "The
speaker needs to catch her breath because" - c. running fast
results in being breathless
- Activity 1(a)(ii): "Is the
speaker alone? Why do you say so?" - No, because the poem
says "We" - they are together.
- Activity 1(b)(i): "Give
one reason why the grass is cold." - It is evening/night, so
the grass is cold.
- Activity 1(b)(ii): "The
children's feet are aching because" - they have been running
and the grass is cold.
- Activity 1(b)(iii): "Why
does 'Night' win?" - a. Time for play has ended
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the activities in their notebooks.
- My Action: I will ask students to
discuss the answers with their classmates.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their thoughts on why 'Night' wins.
- Example: "Riya, why does Night
win? Because the children have to stop playing and go home."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about what the children might do the next day.
- Example: "What do you think
the children will do the next day? They will probably play again."
Day 4
(Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Personification and Word Web)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will learn about personification and water bodies."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain
personification (Page 112).
- Personification: Giving human qualities to
non-human things.
- Example from the poem:
"Night wins!" - Night is shown as winning.
- Another example: "The sun
played hide-and-seek with the clouds."
- My Action: I will ask students to
create their own examples:
- "The wind whispered
through the trees."
- "The flowers danced in the
breeze."
- "The stars winked at
me."
- My Action: I will explain the word
web activity (Page 112).
- Water bodies: creek, river, lake, pond,
sea, ocean, stream, canal, waterfall, pool
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
write their own examples of personification.
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the water bodies word web.
- Example: "Rahul, can you give
an example of personification? The sun smiled down on us. Riya, can you
name a water body? A lake."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to use
personification in a sentence.
- Example: "The moon hid behind
the clouds."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will assign homework to
write 3 more examples of personification.
Day 5
(Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen' (Sports Riddles)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will solve some riddles about sports."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will read the riddles
and students will guess the sport.
- Riddle 1: Run and pass, run and
pass, Kick a black and white ball... - Football
- Riddle 2: Hold your breath, say
Hu-tu-tu... - Kabaddi
- Riddle 3: In the water, hold your
breath... - Swimming
- Riddle 4: Breathe in, breathe out!
Practice every day... - Yoga
- My Action: I will ask students to
create their own riddle about their favourite sport.
- Example: "I hit a ball with a
bat, I run between two lines, I score runs for my team. What am I? - Cricket"
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
write their riddles in their notebooks.
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their riddles with the class.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
guess each other's riddles.
- Example: "Rahul, can you guess
Sita's riddle? I think it's badminton."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about other indigenous games.
- Example: "Think about
indigenous games like kho-kho, kabaddi, gilli-danda. We will discuss them
tomorrow."
Day 6
(Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us speak', 'Let us write', 'Let us
Explore'
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will practice speaking, writing, and exploring indigenous games."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
speak' activity (Page 114).
- Situation 1: Coming home late
after play.
- Parent: "Why are you so
late?"
- Child: "I'm sorry, I lost
track of time while playing."
- Situation 2: Sharing details of
the games you played.
- Child: "We played cricket
today and I hit a six!"
- Parent: "That's wonderful!
Who won?"
- Situation 3: Bring a new friend
home after playtime.
- Child: "Maa, this is my
new friend Rahul."
- Parent: "Welcome, Rahul!
Please come in."
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
write' activity (Page 115).
- Write a paragraph about your
playtime.
- Sample Paragraph:
- "I go out to play at 5 PM
in the evening. I play with my friends in the park near my house. We
play cricket, football, and hide and seek. Playing together helps us
stay fit and makes us happy. We finish playing at 7 PM and go home. I
enjoy my playtime very much."
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
Explore' activity (Page 115).
- Indigenous games in India:
kabaddi, kho-kho, gilli-danda, pithu garam, lagori.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
practice the role-plays in pairs.
- My Action: I will ask students to
write the paragraph in their notebooks.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their paragraphs with the class.
- Example: "Riya, can you read
your paragraph? I go to play at 5 PM. I play with my friends..."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will summarize the unit.
- Example: "In this unit, we
read the poem 'The Winner'. We learned that sometimes the winner is not a
person but something else, like 'Night'. We also learned about
personification, water bodies, and indigenous games. Remember, playing is
not just about winning or losing; it's about having fun and staying
healthy."