Subject: English

Class: 6
Chapter: OUR DAILY SPICES  
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
 


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction to Spices

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, what do we add to our food to make it tasty and colourful?"
  • My Action: I will show the picture of various spices and ask students to identify them.
  • My Action: I will ask the pre-reading questions:
    • "Now say at least five names of the spices used for cooking in your home."
    • "Do you know about the medicinal uses of spices?"
  • Example: "Riya, can you name five spices used in your home? Turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, and black pepper."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the introduction about spices:
    • "Spices are kind of seeds, stems, roots, bark, leaves and flowers required to make our dishes coloured, flavoured and tasty."
    • "The spices are also known for their medicinal properties in our country."
    • "These spices are used in Ayurvedic practices for centuries."
  • My Action: I will show the picture of the Herb & Spice Alphabet Chart.
  • My Action: I will ask students to name the spices in their home language.
  • Example: "Rahul, what is turmeric called in your language? Haldi. What is cumin called? Jeera."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the table with names of spices in their home language.
    • Turmeric - Haldi
    • Fenugreek - Methi
    • Cumin Seeds - Jeera
    • Asafetida - Hing
    • Cinnamon - Dalchini
    • Clove - Laung
    • Ginger - Adrak
    • Black Pepper - Kali Mirch
    • Fennel Seeds - Saunf
    • Cardamom - Elaichi
    • Bay Leaf - Tej Patta
    • Mustard Seeds - Rai
    • Chilli Powder - Mirch
    • Curry Leaves - Kadi Patta
    • Garlic - Lahsun
    • Onion - Pyaz

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share which spice they use most often in their home.
  • Example: "Sita, which spice is used most often in your home? We use turmeric in almost every dish."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to ask their parents about the medicinal uses of spices.
  • Example: "Ask your parents about the medicinal uses of turmeric and ginger. We will discuss it tomorrow."

Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - The Letter from Khusi

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read a letter written by Khusi to her brother Dugu. She tells him about the medicinal uses of spices."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the letter aloud with proper expression.
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "What happened to Dugu?"
    • "What did Jeje suggest?"
    • "What are the uses of different spices according to Khusi?"
  • Example: "Dugu suffered from cough and cold. Jeje suggested using spices from the kitchen."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the letter in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the 'Let us think and reflect' questions:
    • 1(a) "What should Dugu use from kitchen to get cure of cough and cold?" - Ginger (Ada)
    • 1(b) "What spice should be used to maintain body weight and sugar level?" - Fenugreek (Methi)
    • 1(c) "In respiratory trouble what spice should we take?" - Cardamom (Elaichi)
    • 1(d) "During indigestion one should take _______________ and _______________." - Cumin seeds (Jeera) and Cardamom (Elaichi)
    •  

2.     "Give an example of weather related illness." - Cough and cold due to sudden rain in winter.

    •  

3.     "Dugu soaked methi seeds overnight and drank the water in the morning to manage _______________ and _______________." - sugar level and body weight

    •  

4.     "Write the name of the spice which is useful for body pain." - Turmeric (Haldi)

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the importance of traditional knowledge.
  • Example: "Why is it important to know about the medicinal uses of spices? It helps us cure many illnesses naturally."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about a time they used a home remedy.
  • Example: "Think about a time you used a home remedy. We will discuss it tomorrow."

Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Spice Characteristics, Modal Verbs)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the letter by asking, "What did Khusi tell Dugu about the spices?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the spice characteristics activity (Page 90-91).
    • Turmeric: root, yellow, rough, bitter
    • Fenugreek: seed, brown, rough, bitter
    • Cinnamon: bark, brown, rough, sweet/spicy
    • Clove: flower bud, brown, rough, spicy
    • Black Pepper: fruit/seed, black, rough, spicy
    • Cardamom: seed/fruit, green, rough, sweet/spicy
  • My Action: I will explain modal verbs (Page 91).
    • Modal auxiliary verbs: may, should, can, must, need to, used to.
    • Functions:
      • may - possibility/request
      • should - suggestion/advice
      • can - ability
      • must - compulsion
      • need to - necessity
      • used to - past habit
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the dialogue:
    • Siya: Rishu had fever last week. She (i) should take a rest.
    • Siddhi: Yes, she (ii) must or she will fall ill again.
    • Siya: She (iii) can take grandmother's natural cures.
    • Siddhi: Yes, we (iv) should remember how effective they are.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the spice characteristics table.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the modal verb dialogue.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to use modal verbs in sentences.
  • Example: "Riya, use 'should' in a sentence. We should eat healthy food. Rahul, use 'must' in a sentence. You must drink water every day."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to find 5 more sentences with modal verbs.

Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen' (Tulsi - The Wonder Herb)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about another amazing herb - Tulsi (Holy Basil)."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the transcript about Tulsi.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the fact sheet:
    • Name: Tulsi
    • First found in: north central India
    • Now found: everywhere in India
    • Known as: the Queen of Herbs
    • Can decrease levels of: glucose and cholesterol
    • Used to treat disorder of: breathing and digestion
    • It used to make: mouth wash and toothpaste
    • We can have Tulsi leaves by: eating them raw or adding them while making tea
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "What is Tulsi known as?"
    • "What are the health benefits of Tulsi?"
    • "How can we use Tulsi?"

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the fact sheet in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the benefits of Tulsi.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share if they have used Tulsi at home.
  • Example: "Sita, have you ever used Tulsi? I drink Tulsi tea when I have a cold."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about other medicinal plants in their area.
  • Example: "Think about other medicinal plants you know. We will discuss it tomorrow."

Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us speak' and 'Let us write'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will practice speaking and writing about spices and home remedies."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us speak' activity (Page 93).
    • Choose one spice and introduce yourself as that spice.
    • Example: "I am Turmeric. I am a root. I am yellow in colour. I am rough to touch. I am bitter in taste. I improve energy, reduce body pain, and help in digestion."
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us write' activity (Page 93).
    • Complete the letter about the home remedy for cough:
      • To prepare this home remedy, you just need ginger and honey. First, take a piece of fresh ginger, grate it and take the juice from it. Take about two teaspoons of this juice and add about two and half teaspoons of honey to it. Mix it properly. Warm the mixture slightly on very low heat for a minute. Then you can have it about three to four times a day to get relief from cough. Have patience to see the effect as natural cures For cough with ginger and honey might take some time to show results.
      • To prepare the second home remedy for cough, take about 10 grams of each long pepper, dried ginger and basil leaves. Add four to six small cardamoms and grind to get a fine powder. If you take this powder with an equal amount of honey it will give you relief from cough.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to practice speaking as a spice in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the letter.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their introductions as a spice.
  • Example: "Rahul, introduce yourself as Cinnamon. I am Cinnamon. I am bark. I am brown. I am rough. I am sweet and spicy. I give relief from toothache."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to write a paragraph about a spice they like.

Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Explore'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will explore spices through riddles and learn about medicinal plants."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the riddle activity (Page 94).
    • Riddle (a): "When your tummy felt funny, I was used by your granny..." - Ginger
    • Riddle (b): "I come from under the ground..." - Turmeric
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the fenugreek riddle:
    • "Brownish seeds in colour,
      and bitter to taste,
      I help everyone,
      to control their weight."
      Ans.: Fenugreek (methi)
  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own riddle about a spice.
    • Example: "I am green and small, I am used in sweets and tea, I make your breath fresh, Who am I? - Cardamom"
  • My Action: I will explain the list activity (Page 94).
    • Plants: Neem, Tulsi, Aloe vera
    • Herbs: Brahmi, Ashwagandha, Mint
    • Spices: Turmeric, Cumin, Ginger

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the riddle activities.
  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own riddle and share it with the class.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their riddles.
  • Example: "Riya, can you read your riddle? I am yellow and bitter, I am used in every dish, I heal wounds and reduce pain. Who am I? - Turmeric"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.
  • Example: "In this unit, we learned about the many uses of spices and herbs. We learned about their medicinal properties and how they can help us stay healthy. We also learned about modal verbs and how to describe things. Remember, nature has given us many gifts in the form of spices and herbs."