Subject: English
Class: 6
Chapter: YOGA – A WAY OF LIFE
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
Topic: Yoga, Health, and Well-being
Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction to Yoga
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)
My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, what do you know about yoga? Have you ever tried it?"
My Action: I will ask the pre-reading questions:
"What do you know about yoga?"
"What is 21st June known for? What do we do on this day?"
"List as many words you know related to yoga."
My Action: I will create a mind map on the board with words related to yoga.
Example: "Riya, what do you know about yoga? I know it's a type of exercise. It helps us stay healthy. Rahul, what is 21st June known for? It is International Yoga Day."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)
My Action: I will explain the key vocabulary words from the text:
originated: started
harmony: balance
holistic: treating the whole of something and not just some parts
distractions: disturbances
endurance: capacity to continue without giving up
anxiety: worry
boost: increase
My Action: I will explain the meaning of yoga.
Example: "Yoga is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice that started in ancient India. The word 'Yoga' means 'to join' or 'to unite'. It is a holistic approach to health."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to list words related to yoga in their notebooks.
My Action: I will ask students to share their lists with the class.
Example: "Sita, what words did you write? Asanas, breathing, meditation, health, flexibility."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to discuss why yoga is becoming popular worldwide.
Example: "Why do you think yoga is becoming popular around the world? Because it has many health benefits."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to ask their parents or grandparents about yoga.
Example: "Ask your parents or grandparents if they practice yoga. We will discuss it tomorrow."
Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Understanding the Text (Pages 116-118)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will say, "Today we will read about yoga and its benefits."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
My Action: I will read the text aloud with proper expression.
My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
"What does the word 'Yoga' mean?"
"Who presented yoga in a systematic way?"
"What are the benefits of yoga?"
"What is the WHO mYOGA app?"
Example: "The word 'Yoga' means 'to join' or 'to unite'. Sage Patanjali presented yoga in a systematic way. Yoga helps to stretch and strengthen muscles, reduce stress, improve heart health, and aid in weight loss. The WHO mYOGA app is a free tool to encourage people to practice yoga."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to read the text in pairs.
My Action: I will ask students to fill in the blanks:
Yoga is a practice that not only improves physical flexibility but also improves mental (i) strength and leads to a healthier (ii) lifestyle. It involves a series of asanas, which increase muscular (iii) strength. Practising yoga also leads to a better body and mind (iv) balance and reduces body pain such as the lower back. Moreover, the focus on breathing techniques and meditation makes the mind (v) calm, (vi) stress, and improves the quality of (vii) sleep.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to share what they learned about the benefits of yoga.
Example: "Rahul, what did you learn about the benefits of yoga? Yoga reduces stress, improves flexibility, and makes us healthy."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to think about the WHO mYOGA app.
Example: "Why do you think the WHO launched the mYOGA app? To encourage people all over the world to practice yoga."
Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us think and reflect' (Pages 119-120)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will revise the text by asking, "What are the benefits of yoga?"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
My Action: I will explain the 'Let us think and reflect' questions (Page 119).
Question 1: "What is the aim of yoga?" - To unite mind and body and promote well-being.
Question 2: "Explain the idea of unity in yoga." - Unity means the joining of mind and body, thought and action.
Question 3: "What does the launch of the WHO mYOGA app tell us about the importance of yoga?" - It shows that yoga is recognized globally for its health benefits.
Question 4: "Describe one long-term effect that the practice of yoga can have on a person's qualities." - It can make a person more calm, focused, and stress-free.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to complete the activities in their notebooks.
My Action: I will ask students to discuss the answers with their classmates.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to share their thoughts on the importance of yoga.
Example: "Riya, why is yoga important? It helps us stay healthy and calm."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to think about how they can practice yoga in their daily lives.
Example: "Think about how you can practice yoga every day. We will discuss it tomorrow."
Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Word Games and Vocabulary)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will say, "Today we will play some word games related to yoga."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
My Action: I will explain the Antakshari game (Page 119).
Start with 'yoga' → next word must begin with 'a' → 'asanas' → next word begins with 's' → 'strength' → next word begins with 'h' → 'health' → etc.
My Action: I will explain the word-making activity (Page 119).
Use the letters Y, R, E, A, N, G, O.
Make words using the letter 'A' in all words: yoga, year, orange, arena, groan, anger, range, organ, gory, vary, etc.
My Action: I will ask students to make as many words as possible.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to play Antakshari in groups.
My Action: I will ask students to write the words they made in their notebooks.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to share their words with the class.
Example: "Rahul, what words did you make? I made yoga, year, orange, and groan."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to think of more words related to yoga.
Example: "Think of more words related to yoga. We will discuss them tomorrow."
Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen' and 'Let us speak'
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will say, "Today we will practice listening and speaking about yoga."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
My Action: I will explain the 'Let us listen' activity (Page 119-120).
I will read the transcript and students will select true statements.
The girl sees people at the park doing breathing exercises. - True
Her grandfather began practicing yoga sixteen years ago. - True
The girl practices some easy yoga exercises with her grandfather. - True
The girl practices breathing exercises to relax. - True
Her grandfather is fit even though he has untimely meals. - False
Her grandfather's regular yoga practice has kept him strong. - True
The girl wishes to learn asanas over the weekend. - False
My Action: I will explain the 'Let us speak' activity (Page 120).
Share your 'yoga thoughts' in groups.
If you have tried yoga: "I practice yoga because it makes me feel relaxed. My favourite thing about yoga is the breathing exercises. I feel calm after a yoga session."
If you have not tried yoga: "I wish to practice yoga because it is good for health. I hope that once I begin, I will become more flexible."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to practice speaking in groups.
My Action: I will ask students to share their thoughts with the class.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to share their yoga experiences.
Example: "Riya, have you ever tried yoga? I have tried some simple stretches with my grandfather."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to think about what they learned from the listening activity.
Example: "What did you learn from the girl's story? She practices yoga with her grandfather and it keeps them both healthy."
Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us write' and 'Let us Explore'
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will say, "Today we will write about the benefits of yoga and explore more about it."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
My Action: I will explain the 'Let us write' activity (Page 121).
Write a short paragraph on 'The Benefits of Yoga'.
Sample Paragraph:
"Yoga is important because it helps us stay healthy and calm. One benefit of yoga that interests me is that it helps reduce stress. Practising yoga can help people become more flexible and strong. A popular yoga pose is the 'Tree Pose' because it improves balance. Yoga is not just physical exercise; it also helps to calm the mind. Finally, yoga can be a great way to stay fit and happy."
My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Explore' activity (Page 121).
International Yoga Day is celebrated on 21st June.
The United Nations declared 21st June as International Yoga Day on 11th December 2014.
Yoga was prevalent in the Sindhu-Sarasvati Civilisation (2700 BC).
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to write the paragraph in their notebooks.
My Action: I will ask students to share their paragraphs with the class.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will ask students to share what they learned about International Yoga Day.
Example: "Rahul, when is International Yoga Day celebrated? On 21st June."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
My Action: I will summarize the unit.
Example: "In this unit, we learned about yoga - its meaning, benefits, and importance. We learned that yoga is a way of life that helps us stay healthy, calm, and balanced. We also learned about International Yoga Day and the WHO mYOGA app. Remember, yoga is not just exercise; it is a holistic approach to well-being."