Subject: English
Class: 6
Chapter: THE CHAIR
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
Day 1
(Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction and Vocabulary Building
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)
- My Action: I will greet the class and
ask, "Children, what comes to your mind when you think of
friendship?"
- My Action: I will write
"FRIENDSHIP" on the board and ask students to brainstorm words.
- My Action: I will conduct the
pre-reading word search activity.
- Example: "Riya, what are the
two words that come to your mind when you think of friendship? I think of
'loyal' and 'honest'. Now, find these words in the grid."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the key
vocabulary words from the story:
- showed off: talked proudly
- companions: friends
- accepted: agreed to
- readily: without any problem
- attic: a storage space in a
house just under the roof
- invisible: impossible to see
- determined: firm in decision
- set off: started
- amazing: very surprising
- experienced: felt
- occasions: event, function,
happenings
- My Action: I will use the words in
sentences.
- Example: "Papu showed off
about his friends. He accepted the bet readily. Grandfather brought an
invisible chair from the attic."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the word search activity.
- My Action: I will ask students to
fill in the blanks:
1. A person who you do things together
with. - Partner
2. A student who is in your class.
- Classmate
- Example: "Rahul, can you find
the word 'honest' in the grid? It is in the first row."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share what they think makes a good friend.
- Example: "Sita, what do you
think makes a good friend? A good friend is honest, loyal, and
helpful."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about a time they helped a friend.
- Example: "Think about a time
you helped a friend. We will discuss it tomorrow."
Day 2
(Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - First Part of the Story (Pages 57-58)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will read the story 'The Chair'. Let's find out how Papu learns about true
friendship."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will read the first part
of the story (Pages 57-58) aloud with proper expression.
- My Action: I will ask comprehension
questions:
- "What did Papu love to
do?"
- "What did his grandfather
say?"
- "What was the bet
about?"
- "What did the grandfather
give Papu?"
- "What did the chair look
like?"
- Example: "Papu loved to have
lots of friends. His grandfather bet him a fruit chaat that he didn't have
as many friends as he thought. He gave Papu an invisible chair to test his
friends."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the story in pairs.
- My Action: I will ask students to
answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:
- "Papu was very proud of
having so many friends. State whether True or False." - True
- "What did the grandfather
take from the attic?" - An invisible chair.
- "Will Papu face any
challenges?" - Yes, sitting on the invisible chair.
- "Will Papu be able to use
the magic?" - (Students' predictions)
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
predict what will happen next.
- Example: "Do you think Papu
will be able to sit on the chair? What will happen?"
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about how they would test their friends.
- Example: "If you wanted to
test your friends, how would you do it?"
Day 3
(Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Second Part of the Story (Pages 58-59)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will revise the first
part by asking, "What did Papu's grandfather give him? What did he
have to do?"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will read the second
part of the story (Pages 58-59) aloud.
- My Action: I will ask comprehension
questions:
- "What did Papu do at
school?"
- "What happened when he
tried to sit on the chair?"
- "Who helped him?"
- "Who laughed at him?"
- "What did Papu learn?"
- Example: "Papu tried to sit on
the invisible chair and fell. His friends laughed at him. Three friends -
Rony, Amrit, and Prateek - held him up so he wouldn't fall. He learned
that true friends are those who care for us."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the story in groups.
- My Action: I will ask students to
answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:
- "Papu successfully sat on
the invisible chair on his first attempt. State whether True or
False." - False
- "Papu's grandfather
challenged him to a bet of _______________." - fruit chaat
- "Match the characters with
their action:
- Rony - a. held Papu up, so he
wouldn't fall
- Amrit - a. held Papu up, so he
wouldn't fall
- Prateek - a. held Papu up, so
he wouldn't fall"
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
discuss the theme of true friendship.
- Example: "What does the story
teach us about true friendship? True friends care for us and help
us."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about the moral of the story.
- Example: "What is the moral of
the story? True friends are those who care for us, not those who make fun
of us."
Day 4
(Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us think and reflect' (Pages 60-61)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will revise the story by
asking, "What happened in the story? Who were Papu's real
friends?"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
think and reflect' section (Pages 60-61).
- Activity 1(a): The chair
is invisible and special (two words
that describe the chair).
- Activity 1(b): It is tricky to
sit on the chair because it is invisible.
- Activity 1(c): Opposite in
meaning of:
- (i) special - ordinary
/ common
- (ii) invisible - visible
- Activity 2(a): "What was
the bet about?" - Papu didn't have as many real friends as
he thought.
- Activity 2(b): "What
happened when Papu sat on the chair for the first time?" - He
missed and fell.
- Activity 2(c): "Who are
Papu's real friends? How was he able to find his real friends?"
- Rony, Amrit, and Prateek. They held him up.
- Activity 2(d): "Do you
like the magic chair test? Why?" - (Students' opinions)
- Activity 2(e): "Mention
any other way that would help you find out who are your real
friends?" - (Students' opinions)
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the activities in their notebooks.
- My Action: I will ask students to
discuss the questions with their classmates.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their opinions about the magic chair test.
- Example: "Rahul, do you like
the magic chair test? Why? Yes, because it helps us find real
friends."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will assign homework to
write a short paragraph about true friendship.
Day 5
(Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Suffixes, Adjectives,
Vocabulary)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will learn about suffixes, adjectives, and vocabulary."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain suffixes
(Page 61).
- Root words + suffix = new
words.
- loud + ly = loudly
- final + ly = finally
- ready + ly = readily (replace
'y' with 'i')
- magic + al = magical
- care + al = careful
- celebrate + tion = celebration
- wonder + ful = wonderful
- help + ful = helpful
- friend + ship = friendship
- courage + ous = courageous
- My Action: I will explain adjectives
(Page 62).
- Describing words used before
nouns.
- Examples: invisible
chair, magical chair, special chair.
- My Action: I will ask students to
match adjectives with nouns:
- brave + soldier = brave soldier
- clever + jackal = clever jackal
- true + friends = true friends
- tasty + fruits = tasty fruits
- colourful + flower = colourful
flower
- special + chair = special chair
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the suffix and adjective activities.
- My Action: I will ask students to use
the new words in sentences.
- Example: "My friend is very
helpful. The story was wonderful."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
create sentences using the new phrases.
- Example: "The brave soldier
marched ahead. The clever jackal tricked the lion."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will assign homework to
find 5 more words ending with 'ly'.
Day 6
(Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen', 'Let us speak', 'Let us
write', 'Let us Explore'
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will practice listening, speaking, writing, and exploring."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
listen' activity (Page 63).
- I will read the transcript and
students will fill in the blanks.
1. Manu found it difficult when
she took admission in the school.
2. Manu met Monika and
helped by her in many ways.
3. So, it was not so difficult for
the new girl to adjust in the school.
4. Both friends experienced difficult
and happy moments together.
5. Manu is thankful to
Monika for making her life easy and finding a friend.
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
speak' activity (Page 63).
- Chain drill: "A friend
wouldn't be someone who takes joy in our bad luck."
- Dialogue between two friends.
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
write' activity (Page 64-65).
- Letter from Papu to Amrit:
- Dear Amrit,
- I hope you are fine.
I am well too.
- You know that
my grandfather has planned for a fruit
chaat party. I request you to attend this
party. All our friends are coming, without you; this
party is really incomplete.
- I hope that
you may come. Please convey my regards to Uncle and Aunt.
- Yours lovingly,
- Papu
- Message to Prateek:
- Dear Prateek,
- I am thankful to God
to have you as a real friend for life. When everyone
was laughing at me, Ronny, Amrit and you showed me that
you care for me. You are indeed a blessing in
my life.
- Best wishes,
- Papu
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
Explore' activity (Page 66).
- Write describing words for your
friend: F-friendly, R-reliable, I-intelligent, E-encouraging,
N-nice, D-dependable, S-supportive.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to complete
the letter and message.
- My Action: I will ask students to
write their own message to their best friend.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their messages with the class.
- Example: "Riya, can you read
your message to your best friend?"
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will summarize the unit.
- Example: "In this unit, we
read the story 'The Chair'. We learned that true friends are those who
care for us and help us. We also learned about suffixes, adjectives, and
how to write a letter. Remember, a friend in need is a friend
indeed."