Subject: English

Class: 6
Chapter: RAMA TO THE RESCUE  
Author: A Folktale from Tamil Nadu (Amar Chitra Katha)
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
 


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction and Vocabulary Building

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, who helps us when we are in trouble? What do you do when you face a problem?"
  • My Action: I will show the picture of people who help us (policeman, firefighter, doctor).
  • My Action: I will ask the pre-reading questions:
    • "Identify the following people. How do they help us when we are in trouble?"
    • "What does the word 'rescue' mean?"
    • "Put a tick mark at the end of the phrases describing those who need to be rescued."
  • Example: "The word 'rescue' means to save someone. A policeman rescues us from thieves. A firefighter rescues us from fire."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the key vocabulary words from the story:
    • rescue: to save someone
    • kotwal: village policeman
    • chatter: talk for a long time about unimportant things
    • wonder: a feeling of surprise
    • yard: an area outside a building
    • closely: carefully
    • perhaps: maybe
    • instead: in place of someone or something
  • My Action: I will use the words in sentences.
  • Example: "The kotwal rescued the people. The children chattered in the classroom."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the pre-reading vocabulary activity.
  • My Action: I will ask students to share their answers with their classmates.
  • Example: "Rahul, who needs to be rescued? A man stuck in a building on fire needs to be rescued."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to imagine they are alone at home and face a problem.
  • Example: "Sita, if you are alone at home and a stranger knocks on the door, what will you do? Will you solve the problem yourself or wait for help?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about what they call a policeman in their area.
  • Example: "We call a policeman 'Kotwal' or 'Thana Babu'. What do you call a policeman in your area?"

Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - First Part of the Story (Pages 21-23)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read the first part of the story 'Rama to the Rescue'. Let's find out what happens to an old man and his wife."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the first part of the story (Pages 21-23) aloud with proper expression.
  • My Action: I will explain the comic strip format and the dialogue.
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "Who are the characters in the story?"
    • "What did the old man and his wife hear?"
    • "Who entered the house?"
    • "What did the old man and his wife decide to do?"
    • "What name did they decide to give their child?"
  • Example: "The characters are an old man and his wife. They heard a noise and thought a thief had entered. They decided to call out the name 'Rama' to get the kotwal's help."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the story in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:
    • "Circle the odd one: old man, his wife, children." - children
    • "Who entered the house? guest, robber, Kotwal" - robber
    • "Write whether True or False: The old man tells his plan to his wife." - True
    • "The thief wants to know where they kept their jewels." - True

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to predict what will happen next.
  • Example: "Do you think the thief will be caught? How?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about what they would do if they heard a noise at night.
  • Example: "If you hear a noise at night, what would you do?"

Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Second Part of the Story (Pages 23-25)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the first part by asking, "What did the old man and his wife decide to do to catch the thief?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the second part of the story (Pages 23-25) aloud.
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "What did the old man say about the name 'Rama'?"
    • "What happened when the old man called out 'Rama'?"
    • "Who came to the house?"
    • "What did the kotwal do?"
    • "How did the old man and his wife save themselves?"
  • Example: "The old man called out 'Rama' softly, then loudly. The kotwal heard his name and ran to the house. He caught the thief."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the story in groups.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:
    • "Along with your classmates, call out the name 'Rama' - softly, loudly and very loudly."
    • "What do you think will happen next in the story?" - The kotwal will catch the thief.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the matching activity:
    • wonder - a feeling of surprise
    • yard - an area outside a building
    • chatter - talk for a long time about unimportant things
    • instead - in place of someone or something
    • closely - carefully
    • perhaps - maybe

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the solution to the problem.
  • Example: "How did the old man and his wife solve their problem? They used their cleverness."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about the moral of the story.
  • Example: "What is the moral of the story? Cleverness can help us solve problems."

Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us think and reflect' (Pages 26-27)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story by asking, "What happened in the story? How did the old man and his wife save themselves?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us think and reflect' section (Pages 26-27).
    • Activity 1(a)(i): "What makes the man say the first line?" - He heard a noise.
    • Activity 1(a)(ii): "The old man's wife says 'Ssssh! Listen!'. What does the word 'Ssssh' mean here?" - d. be silent
    • Activity 1(a)(iii): "How can you tell that the old man's wife was listening carefully?" - She told him to be quiet and listen.
    • Activity 1(b)(i): "The villagers caught the thief and took him to the kotwal."
    • Activity 1(b)(ii): "What do the words 'Oh, Oh!' show here?" - a. surprise
    • Activity 1(b)(iii): "How can you tell that the kotwal was good at his job?" - He quickly responded when he heard his name.
    • Question 2: "Give one reason why the old man and his wife were not able to fall asleep." - They heard a noise and were scared.
    • Question 3: "What did the thief wish would happen? Did it happen?" - He wished they would fall asleep. No, it didn't happen.
    • Question 4: "How did the old man and his wife get help from the kotwal?" - They called out his name and he came.
    • Question 5: "Do you think cleverness can help us solve our problems?" - Yes, cleverness is very helpful.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the activities in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the questions with their classmates.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their own experiences of solving problems with cleverness.
  • Example: "Have you ever used cleverness to solve a problem? What happened?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to write a short paragraph about a time they used cleverness.

Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Contracted Words, Present Progressive, Adverbs)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about contracted words, present progressive tense, and adverbs."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain contracted words (Page 27-28).
    • I'm = I am
    • It's = It is
    • They're = They are
    • What's = What is
    • I'll = I will
    • I'd = I would/I had
    • We'll = We will
    • That's = That is
    • We're = We are
    • Don't = Do not
    • You'll = You will
    • Must've = Must have
  • My Action: I will explain present progressive tense (Pages 28-29).
    • Actions happening at the moment of speaking.
    • Structure: Subject + am/is/are + verb + ing
    • Examples: I am feeling sleepy. / They are talking.
  • My Action: I will explain adverbs (Pages 30-31).
    • Words that give more information about verbs.
    • Examples: softly, loudly, closely, carefully.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to expand contracted words.
  • My Action: I will ask students to fill in the blanks with present progressive forms.
    • (a) I am studying in Grade 6.
    • (b) My friend is reading a story book.
    • (c) We are playing a board game.
    • (d) I am learning a new language.
    • (e) The teachers are sitting in the staff room.
    • (f) My mother is cooking food in the kitchen.
  • My Action: I will ask students to fill in the blanks with adverbs.
    • (a) He quickly solved the mathematics problem.
    • (b) The car moved smoothly along the highway.
    • (c) The musician played the guitar beautifully.
    • (d) Shobha danced gracefully.
    • (e) Rohit left the house hurriedly.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to use contracted words and adverbs in sentences.
  • Example: "I'm reading a book. / She sings beautifully."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to write 5 sentences using contracted words.

Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen', 'Let us speak', 'Let us write', 'Let us explore'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will practice listening, speaking, writing, and exploring."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us listen' activity (Page 32).
    • I will read the transcript and students will fill in the blanks.
    • (i) robbery has been happening in that area.
    • (ii) He advised everyone to stay safe and inform as soon as they find anything different.
    • (iii) They should not forget that the safety is the main thing.
    • (iv) He asked them to call 100 when they need immediate help.
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us speak' activity (Page 32-33).
    • Practice pronouncing contractions.
    • Discuss why it's important to keep houses and themselves safe.
    • Share ideas on how people can keep their houses and themselves safe.
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us write' activity (Page 34).
    • Suppose you are the man. Tell your neighbour what had happened.
    • "My wife and I were about to go to sleep last night when we heard someone trying to get in. We were very scared. Then I had an idea. I told my wife to call out the name 'Rama'. The kotwal heard his name and came running. He caught the thief and saved us."
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us explore' activity (Page 34-35).
    • Who will you call if:
      • you see fire - Fire brigade
      • you see someone getting hurt - Ambulance
      • you see a wounded animal - Animal rescue
      • you see someone suspicious - Police
      • you find a lost child - Police
      • you get lost - Police

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the listening and writing activities.
  • My Action: I will ask students to practice the contractions and discuss safety in pairs.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their ideas on keeping houses safe.
  • Example: "We should lock the doors and windows. We should not open the door for strangers. We should call the police if we see something suspicious."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.
  • Example: "In this unit, we read the story 'Rama to the Rescue'. We learned that cleverness can help us solve problems. We also learned about contracted words, present progressive tense, and adverbs. Remember, safety is important and we should always be clever and careful."