Subject: English

Class: 6
Chapter: A Bottle of Dew  
Author: Sudha Murty
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
Topic: The Value of Hard Work and Wisdom


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction and Vocabulary Building

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, what do you think is more important - hard work or luck? Why?"

  • My Action: I will show the pre-reading pictures (worried/happy, plantation, sage, surprise) and ask students to identify them.

  • My Action: I will ask the pre-reading questions:

    • "Think of a time when you worked hard. What did you do then?"

    • "How did it help you?"

    • "How did you feel then?"

  • Example: "Riya, can you tell us about a time you worked hard? How did you feel after you succeeded?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the key vocabulary words from the story:

    • magic potion: a liquid with magical things

    • give up: stop trying

    • dew: small drops of water on leaves that form during night

    • chant: to repeat or sing a word or phrase

    • tended: looked after

    • wisdom: deep understanding

  • My Action: I will use the words in sentences.

  • Example: "The magician had a magic potion. The farmer gave up after trying many times. In the morning, there was dew on the grass."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the pre-reading vocabulary activity.

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their answers with their classmates.

  • Example: "Rahul, which picture matches the word 'worried'? The girl who is crying matches 'worried'."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their own experiences of hard work.

  • Example: "Sita, tell us about a time you worked hard. I worked hard to learn cycling. I fell many times but I didn't give up."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about the word 'hard work'.

  • Example: "Think about what hard work means to you. We will discuss it tomorrow."


Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - First Part of the Story (Pages 1-3)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read the first part of the story 'A Bottle of Dew'. Let's find out about a man who believed in magic."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the first part of the story (Pages 1-3) aloud with proper expression.

  • My Action: I will explain new words:

    • looking after: taking care

    • magic potion: a liquid with magical things

    • give up: stop trying

    • dew: small drops of water on leaves

    • chant: to repeat or sing a word or phrase

  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:

    • "What did Rama Natha believe?"

    • "Why was Madhumati worried?"

    • "How did the sage help Rama Natha?"

    • "What did the sage ask Rama Natha to do?"

  • Example: "Rama Natha believed in a magic potion that could turn things into gold. Madhumati was worried because he was spending too much money."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the story in pairs.

  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:

    • Question 1: "What did Rama Natha believe?" - He believed in a magic potion.

    • Question 2: "How did the sage help Rama Natha?" - He gave him a plan to make the potion.

    • Question 3: "Do you think Rama Natha will be able to collect the dew?" - (Students' predictions)

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to predict what will happen next.

  • Example: "Do you think Rama Natha will collect the dew? Will the potion work? What do you think?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to read the first part again.

  • Example: "Read the first part of the story again at home. Think about what you would do if you were Rama Natha."


Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Second Part of the Story (Pages 4-5)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the first part by asking, "What did the sage ask Rama Natha to do?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the second part of the story (Pages 4-5) aloud.

  • My Action: I will explain new words:

    • tended: looked after

    • muttered: spoke in a low voice

    • sprinkled: watered gently

    • precious: valuable

    • stacks: collection of something

  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:

    • "What did Rama Natha do for six years?"

    • "What happened when he sprinkled the water on the copper vessel?"

    • "What was in the box that Madhumati brought?"

    • "What was the sage's real lesson?"

  • Example: "Rama Natha planted banana plants and collected dew for six years. The potion didn't work. The sage taught him that hard work creates wealth, not magic."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the 'Let us discuss' questions:

    • Question 1: "Why was Rama Natha angry?" - Because the potion didn't work.

    • Question 2: "How did Rama Natha and Madhumati create wealth?" - By working hard on the banana plantation.

  • My Action: I will ask students to sequence the events in the correct order.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the moral of the story.

  • Example: "What is the moral of the story? Hard work is more important than magic. We should not believe in shortcuts."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about the lesson they learned.

  • Example: "What lesson did you learn from this story? Write it in your notebook."


Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us think and reflect' (Pages 6-7)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story by asking, "What happened in the story? What was the sage's real lesson?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us think and reflect' section (Pages 6-7).

    • Activity 1(A)(I): Complete the sentence.

      • "Rama Natha did not give up because he believed in the magic potion."

    • Activity 1(A)(II): Match Column A with Column B.

      • Madhumati - Worried about Rama Natha's behaviour

      • Rama Natha - Spent all his time learning about magic potion

      • People - Cheated Rama Natha often

    • Activity 1(A)(III): True or False.

      • a. Madhumati was troubled about what her husband did. - True

      • b. Rama Natha was very happy digging his fields. - False

      • c. The people did not like to cheat Rama Natha. - False

    • Activity 1(B)(i): Arrange the events in order.

      • b. Rama Natha gave the bottle to the sage.

      • a. The sage smiled.

      • d. He said something in a low voice over the water.

      • c. Rama Natha dropped a few drops of water on a copper vessel.

      • e. Rama Natha waited to see if the magic worked.

      • Correct option: 2. b, a, d, c, e

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the activities in their notebooks.

  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions:

    • (a) "What did the sage ask Rama Natha to do to make the magic potion?" - To plant banana plants, collect dew, and bring five litres of dew.

    • (b) "Why did the sage ask Rama Natha to do everything himself?" - To teach him the value of hard work.

    • (c) "How could Rama Natha have a big banana plantation after six years?" - He worked hard and planted more plants.

    • (d) "Rama Natha believed that there was no magic potion. How?" - When the potion didn't work, he understood.

    • (e) Fill in the table:

      • Before meeting the sage: Believed in magic, spent money, did no work.

      • After meeting the sage: Planted banana plants, worked hard, created wealth.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to compare Rama Natha before and after the sage's advice.

  • Example: "How did Rama Natha change? He became a hardworking man."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to complete the 'before' and 'after' table.


Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us learn' (Vocabulary, Homophones, Phrases)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about new vocabulary words, homophones, and phrases."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the vocabulary activity (Page 8).

    • Words: promised, spending, cheated, luck, remember, huge, difficult, market

    • Fill in the blanks:

      • "There was a farmer who had a huge coconut plantation. He worked hard and did not depend on luck. Every day was difficult but he did not give up. One day, a man bought a bag of coconuts from him, and promised to pay him the money the next day. Days passed and the man did not pay him anything. The farmer felt cheated. About two months later, he met the same man and asked him about his money. The man said, 'Oh! I had forgotten. Now, I remember buying coconuts from you.' And he paid the money."

  • My Action: I will explain homophones (Page 8).

    • I - eye (I have an eye.)

    • your - you're (You're my friend. / Is this your book?)

    • dew - due (The dew is on the grass. / The work is due tomorrow.)

    • son - sun (The sun is hot. / He is my son.)

    • one - won (I have one apple. / He won the game.)

    • flower - flour (This is a flower. / I need flour for the cake.)

    • see - sea (I see the sea.)

    • right - write (Turn right. / Write your name.)

  • My Action: I will explain phrases (Page 9).

    • The children submitted their work (When?) before the deadline.

    • He did not want to try rock climbing (Why?) because of his fear of heights.

    • The children ran towards the gate (When?) as soon as the bell rang.

    • Nitin was late to school today (Why?) as there was a traffic jam.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the vocabulary and homophones activities.

  • My Action: I will ask students to write sentences using the connecting words.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own sentences using homophones.

  • Example: "I can see the sea. / Write your name on the right side."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to find 5 more homophones.


Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us listen', 'Let us speak', 'Let us write', 'Let us explore'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will practice listening, speaking, writing, and exploring. We will also create a script."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us listen' activity (Page 10).

    • I will read the transcript and students will number the events.

    • (g) Goes to the market to sell the bananas - 1

    • (b) Meets her friend Kalawati in the market - 2

    • (f) Gives twelve bananas to her friend - 3

    • (e) Visits her neighbour and gifts them a bunch of bananas - 4

    • (c) Visits her mother and gives her two dozen bananas - 5

    • (a) Gives two bananas to a boy who is hungry - 6

    • (d) Chooses to go home as only some bananas were left - 7

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us speak' activity (Page 10).

    • /s/ sound: sage, promising, surprise (first 's')

    • /z/ sound: wisdom, trees, surprise (second 's')

    • I will say the words and students will write the sound.

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us write' activity (Page 11).

    • Describe a banana using the mind map.

    • Sample Description:

      • I like to eat a banana after school.

      • It tastes sweet and creamy.

      • The outer covering is yellow and the fruit is white.

      • It smells fresh and fruity.

      • The outer covering feels smooth.

      • It is healthy because it gives energy and is rich in vitamins.

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us explore' activity (Page 12).

    • Find out about different varieties of bananas in India.

    • Blue Java banana is also known as the Ice Cream banana.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the listening, speaking, and writing activities.

  • My Action: I will ask students to create a script for a play based on the story.

    • Rama Natha: Pranam, Gurudev.

    • Mahipati: Pranam, what do you want?

    • Rama Natha: I want to make a magic potion. Can you tell me how?

    • Mahipati: Yes. Sit down. I will tell you.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their scripts with the class.

  • Example: "Ravi and Sita, can you perform your script for us?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.

  • Example: "In this unit, we learned the story 'A Bottle of Dew'. We learned that hard work is more important than magic. We also learned new vocabulary, homophones, and how to describe things. Remember, hard work always pays off!"