Subject: English

Class: 5
Chapter: The Old Stage  
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
 


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading and While-reading - First Part of the Story (Parts 1-4)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and show the picture of the old stag.
  • My Action: I will ask the pre-reading questions:
    • "Who do you see in the picture?" - A deer/stag.
    • "What is the old man doing?" - (If there is an old man in the picture) He is walking with a stick.
    • "Why is the old man holding a stick?" - He needs support to walk.
    • "Who else helps him in walking?" - Someone else may be helping him.
    • "Should we help the old people?" - Yes, we should always help old people.
  • Example: "Today we are going to read a story about an old stag who lived in a forest. Let's find out what happens to him."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read Parts 1-4 of the story (Page 155) aloud with proper expression.
  • My Action: I will explain new words:
    • stag: a male deer
    • lush: growing very thick and well
    • hillock: a small hill
    • fellow: friend
    • greeted: welcomed
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "Who are there in this story?" - The old stag and other animals.
    • "Where did the old stag live?" - In a lush forest, on a small hillock.
    • "What was he known for?" - His kindness.
    • "Who did he greet each day?" - His fellow animals and birds.
    • "The old stag could not go down the hillock because..." - (c) he was ill.
  • Example: "The old stag lived in a lush forest. He was kind and greeted everyone. One day, he fell ill and could not go down the hillock."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read Parts 1-4 in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions from the 'Let us Discuss' section.
    • Question 1: "Who are there in this story?" - The old stag and other animals.
    • Question 2: "Where did the old stag live?" - In a lush forest, on a small hillock.
    • Question 3: "What was he known for?" - His kindness.
    • Question 4: "Who did he greet each day?" - His fellow animals and birds.
    • Question 5: "The old stag could not go down the hillock to greet his friends because..." - (c) he was ill.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their thoughts about kindness.
  • Example: "Why was the stag loved by everyone? Because he was kind. How can we be kind to others?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about what might happen next.
  • Example: "What do you think the animals will do when they visit the stag? Write your prediction."

Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Second Part of the Story (Parts 5-8)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the first part of the story by asking, "What happened to the old stag? Why couldn't he come down?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read Parts 5-8 of the story aloud.
  • My Action: I will explain new words:
    • feasted: ate a lot of good food
    • tender: soft and easy to eat
    • greed: wanting more than needed
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "All the animals who visited the old stag feasted on the..." - (b) tender grass
    • "What did the elephant say?" - "The grass is so tender and nice."
    • "What did the giraffe say?" - "I have never eaten such juicy green leaves."
    • "What happened to the grass on the hillock?" - It was eaten by the visiting animals.
  • Example: "The animals came to visit the stag, but they ate all the tender grass on the hillock. They were greedy."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read Parts 5-8 in groups.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions from the 'Let us Discuss' section.
    • Question 6: "All the animals who visited the old stag feasted on the..." - (b) tender grass

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the concept of greed.
  • Example: "Why did the animals eat all the grass? They were greedy. What happens when we are greedy?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about the consequences of the animals' actions.
  • Example: "What do you think will happen to the stag now? The grass is gone. What will he eat?"

Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Third Part of the Story (Parts 9-12)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story so far by asking, "What happened to the grass on the hillock?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read Parts 9-12 of the story aloud.
  • My Action: I will explain new words:
    • realise: understand
    • recover: become well again
    • resources: wealth/nature's gifts
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "What happened to the old stag as days passed?" - He became weaker.
    • "How did the animals feel?" - They felt ashamed.
    • "What did the animals decide to do?" - They decided to find food elsewhere and not disturb the hillock. Some brought fresh leaves for the stag.
    • "What helped the grass grow back?" - It rained well.
    • "What lesson did the animals learn?" - "Nature has enough for everybody. But we need to use its resources wisely."
  • Example: "The animals realized their mistake. They brought fresh leaves for the stag. The rain helped the grass grow back. The stag recovered. The animals learned a lesson."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read Parts 9-12 in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions from the 'Let us Discuss' section.
    • Question 7: "The animals saw that there was not much grass left for the stag. Did they realise their mistakes? How did they feel?" - Yes, they realized their mistake. They felt ashamed.
    • Question 8: "How did they find food for the old stag?" - They decided to find food elsewhere in the forest and some of them brought fresh leaves.
    • Question 9: "What lesson does this story teach us?" - (c) Get well soon!
  • My Action: I will ask students to write the moral of the story.
  • Example: "What is the moral of the story? Nature has enough for everyone, but we must use its resources wisely."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the importance of using resources wisely.
  • Example: "How can we use nature's resources wisely? We should not waste water, food, or trees."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to write the moral of the story in their notebooks.

Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - VMDT, Role-Play, and 'Let us Listen and Speak'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story by asking, "What lesson did the animals learn?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Visual Memory Development Technique' (VMDT) on page 158.
    • Whole: The old stag fell ill, Get well soon, The animals feasted on the tender grass, The old stag recovered, Grass grew back, greedy animals, stag on a small hillock, brought fresh leaves
    • Part: not much grass left, brought fresh leaves, enough food, rained well, nature, use its resources wisely
  • My Action: I will explain the Role-Play activity (Page 158).
    • Deer: "Dear stag! How are you?"
    • Stag: "Too weak. I cannot come down."
    • Deer: "Get well soon, dear stag!"
    • Stag: "Thank you!"
  • My Action: I will explain the True/False activity (Page 159).
    • a. The grass grew back when it rained well. - True
    • b. The animals and birds came to attend the stag's birthday. - False
    • c. The stag was kind and friendly. - True
    • d. Fresh, healthy food and proper rest helped the stag to get well. - True
    • e. The old stag lived on a mountain. - False
    • f. The visiting animals brought fresh leaves for their friend. - True
    • g. The animals ate all the grass on the hillock. - True

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to practice the role-play in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the True/False activity in their notebooks.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to perform the role-play in front of the class.
  • Example: "Riya and Rahul, can you perform the role-play? Riya will be the deer and Rahul will be the stag."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to write a dialogue between the stag and another animal.

Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Prefixes, Double Letters, Animal Sounds, Questions)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about prefixes, double letters, animal sounds, and forming questions."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the prefix activity (Page 162).
    • un means not
    • un + known = unknown
    • un + common = uncommon
    • un + necessary = unnecessary
    • un + lucky = unlucky
    • un + friendly = unfriendly
    • un + fit = unfit
  • My Action: I will explain the double letters activity (Page 162-163).
    • tt: bottle, cutter, fitter
    • pp: apple, happy, puppy
    • ee: tree, green, sweet
    • mm: summer, hammer, common
    • bb: rabbit, bubble, hobby
    • rr: carry, hurry, sorry
    • nn: sunny, funny, dinner
    • dd: ladder, daddy, suddenly
    • ss: grass, class, messy
    • gg: egg, bigger, giggle
  • My Action: I will explain the animal sounds activity (Page 164).
    • tiger - roar
    • horse - neigh
    • elephant - trumpet
    • dove - coo
    • goat - bleat
    • monkey - whoop
  • My Action: I will explain the question formation activity (Page 165).
    • Where are the cows? (done)
    • Which is your house?
    • What time is it?
    • Why is the sky blue?
    • How many birds are there on the tree?
    • When will you return my book?
    • Do you walk to school?
    • Can you fly a kite?

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the prefix, double letters, and animal sounds activities in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to form questions in their notebooks.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to create sentences using animal sounds.
  • Example: "The tiger roars. The horse neighs. The elephant trumpets."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to find 5 more words with the prefix 'un'.

Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Past Tense, Adverbs, Message Writing), 'Mental Talk', and Summary

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about past tense, adverbs, and message writing. We will also summarize the unit."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the past tense activity (Page 166).
    • Last week, we visited (visit) the park for a while. There were many children in the park. They were playing different games. My mother pointed (point) at the children playing Kabadi. On our way home, my sister jumped (jump) in a puddle and muddied everyone's clothes. I enjoyed (enjoy) my visit to the park. My sister wanted (want) to go to the pond but I decided (decide) to stay and watch the game of Kabaddi. I watched (watch) the game for a while and then joined (join) my mother and sister. There were many fishes in the pond. I spotted (spot) a gold fish and my sister noticed (notice) two tadpoles in the pond.
  • My Action: I will explain the adverbs activity (Page 167).
    • Adverbs to circle: write badly, cheerfully, early, carefully, loudly, lately, quickly
    • (Not adverbs: highly, old, rabbit, between)
  • My Action: I will explain the message writing activity (Page 168).
    • a. Your birthday is on 19th July. Ask your friend to come to your party by 7th in the evening. - Sanvi
    • b. In the class your teacher gives something to write but you have forgotten your pen. Write to your friend asking for a pen. - Sunil
    • c. Your family is going on a picnic on Sunday morning. Ask your cousin to join. - Sridhara
  • My Action: I will discuss the 'Mental Talk' (Page 169).
  • Example: "Nature has enough for everybody. But we need to use its resources wisely."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the past tense activity in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to circle the adverbs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to match the messages.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to write a message to a friend.
  • Example: "Write a short message to your friend inviting him/her to your birthday party."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.
  • Example: "In this unit, we read the story of 'The Old Stag'. We learned about kindness, greed, friendship, and the importance of using nature's resources wisely. We learned about prefixes, double letters, animal sounds, questions, past tense, and adverbs. Remember, nature has enough for everyone, but we must use its resources wisely."