Subject: English

Class: 5
Chapter: The Rainbow  
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
Topic: Poetry - Appreciation, Vocabulary, and Grammar


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading and While-reading - Reciting the Poem

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (6 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, have you ever seen a rainbow? When do we see a rainbow?"

  • My Action: I will show a picture of a rainbow and ask, "What colours do you see in a rainbow?"

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we are going to read a beautiful poem about the rainbow."

  • Example: "A rainbow appears in the sky after rain. It has seven beautiful colours. Let's read a poem about this wonderful natural phenomenon."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (14 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the poem "The Rainbow" aloud with proper rhythm and expression.

  • My Action: I will explain new words:

    • bow: the rainbow (a curved arc of colours in the sky)

    • bridges: structures built over rivers to cross them

    • overtops: rises above

  • My Action: I will read the poem again and ask students to repeat after me.

  • Example: "'Boats sail on the rivers, And ships sail on the seas.' What is the difference between a boat and a ship? A boat is smaller, a ship is larger."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the poem in pairs.

  • My Action: I will ask students to identify the rhyming words in the poem.

  • Example: "Can you find the rhyming words? 'Seas' and 'these' rhyme. 'Please' and 'trees' rhyme."

  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions from the 'Let us Think' section (Page 28).

    • Question 1: "Explain the meaning of the word 'bow' used in the poem." - It means the rainbow.

    • Question 2: "Which bridge does the poet like more and why?" - The poet likes the rainbow more because it is prettier and builds a road from earth to sky.

    • Question 3: "The word 'these' is used for different things in stanzas one and two. What are the things for which 'these' has been used in each stanza?" - In stanza 1, 'these' refers to boats and ships. In stanza 2, 'these' refers to bridges on the rivers.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their feelings about rainbows.

  • Example: "Have you ever seen a rainbow in real life or in pictures? How did you feel? What did you think when you saw it?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to draw a picture of a rainbow.

  • Example: "Draw a beautiful rainbow with seven colours. Write the colours in the correct order."


Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Learn' (Vocabulary and Word Games)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the poem by reciting it with the class.

  • Example: "Let's recite the poem 'The Rainbow' together. Ready? Boats sail on the rivers..."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Learn' section (Pages 29-30).

    • Activity A: Rearrange the letters to form words from the poem.

        1. sial = sail

        1. vierr = river

        1. sae = sea

        1. oduscl = clouds

        1. risebgd = bridges

        1. nhveea = heaven

        1. eoptvros = overtops

        1. owb = bow

        1. droa = road

    • Activity B: Work in pairs.

      • Find two pairs of words from the poem that rhyme.

        • seas - these

        • please - trees

        • sky - why

      • Find the musical instrument you will use if you have to sing the poem. - Guitar, piano, tabla, etc. (Students can choose)

      • Find those words from the poem which have been repeated. - Prettier, rivers

      • Share the images that come to your mind while reading the poem. - Boats, ships, clouds, bridges, rainbow, sky, trees, heaven, earth

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the rearrangement activity in their notebooks.

  • My Action: I will ask students to share the images that come to their minds.

  • Example: "When I read the poem, I imagine a beautiful rainbow connecting the earth to the sky. I also imagine boats sailing on rivers."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own sentences using the new words.

  • Example: "Use the word 'overtop' in a sentence. The tall building overtops the smaller ones."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to find 5 rhyming words for the word 'sail'.

  • Example: "sail - tail, mail, nail, pail, rail"


Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Listen' and 'Let us Speak'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will practice listening and speaking. We will also recite poems with different emotions."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Listen' activity (Page 30).

    • I will say a word and students will give five rhyming words.

    • Ship: chip, trip, lip, hip, rip

    • Tree: free, see, bee, key, me

    • Bow: row, go, no, so, toe

    • Rain: pain, main, gain, chain, train

    • Sun: fun, run, bun, gun, done

    • Sea: tea, pea, flea, knee, tree

    • Sail: tail, mail, nail, pail, rail

    • And: band, sand, hand, land, stand

    • Sky: fly, cry, my, try, shy

    • Far: car, jar, bar, star, scar

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Speak' activity (Page 31).

    • I will ask students to recite the poem "Colours" in three ways:

      • a. In a happy voice

      • b. In an angry voice

      • c. In a surprised voice

    • I will also ask students to recite the poem "Aachoo!" with expression.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to practice giving rhyming words in groups.

  • My Action: I will ask students to recite the poems in different voices.

  • Example: "Group 1, recite 'Colours' in a happy voice. Group 2, recite it in an angry voice. Group 3, recite it in a surprised voice."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own poem about the rainbow.

  • Example: "Can you write a short poem about the rainbow? It doesn't have to be long. Just a few lines."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to practice reciting the poem with expressions at home.

  • Example: "Practice the poem 'Colours' in happy, angry, and surprised voices. Show your family members."


Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Paragraph Writing and Compound Words)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will write about a journey we made. We will also learn about compound words."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Write' section (Pages 33-35).

    • Activity A: Write a short paragraph about a journey.

      • Points to include: Purpose of travel, whom you travelled with, things you liked/disliked, local dishes, monuments/scenery.

      • Sample Paragraph:

      • "Last month, I travelled to Puri with my family to visit the Jagannath Temple. We went by train. I enjoyed seeing the huge waves at the beach. We ate delicious khaja and mahaaprasad. I loved watching the sunrise and sunset over the sea. It was a memorable trip."

    • Activity B: Compound words.

        1. rain + bow = rainbow

        1. tea + cup = teacup

        1. wrist + watch = wristwatch

        1. arm + chair = armchair

        1. earth + quake = earthquake

        1. sun + flower = sunflower

        1. table + cloth = tablecloth

        1. note + book = notebook

        1. ear + ring = earring

        1. tooth + paste = toothpaste

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to write their own paragraph about a journey.

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the compound words table.

  • Example: "What is the compound word for 'rain' and 'bow'? It's 'rainbow'."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their paragraphs with the class.

  • Example: "Riya, can you read your paragraph aloud? Where did you go? What did you see?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to find 5 more compound words.

  • Example: "Find 5 more compound words like 'snowball', 'butterfly', etc."


Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Opposites and VIBGYOR)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about opposites and the colours of the rainbow."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the opposites activity (Page 36).

    • a. large X small

    • b. weak X strong

    • c. fast X slow

    • d. rough X smooth

    • e. dull X sharp

    • f. curved X straight

    • g. finish X start

    • h. addition X subtraction

    • i. complicated X simple

    • j. mild X strong

    • k. blunt X sharp

    • I will ask students to make sentences using the opposites.

      • "The box is small." / "The man is strong." / "The car is slow."

  • My Action: I will explain the VIBGYOR activity (Page 37).

    • V - Violet

    • I - Indigo

    • B - Blue

    • G - Green

    • Y - Yellow

    • O - Orange

    • R - Red

  • My Action: I will ask students to list the colours of the spices in the picture (Page 37).

    • Clove - brown

    • Cinnamon - brown

    • Turmeric - yellow

    • Fennel seeds - green

    • Cumin seeds - brown

    • Mustard seeds - yellow

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the opposites activity in their notebooks.

  • My Action: I will ask students to remember the order of colours in a rainbow.

  • Example: "What is the first colour of the rainbow? Violet. What is the last colour? Red."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to use the opposites in sentences.

  • Example: "Use 'strong' in a sentence. The elephant is a strong animal."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to colour the Flowerpot Friend on page 38.

  • Example: "Colour the flowerpot friend with beautiful colours. Be creative!"


Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Do', 'Let us Explore', and Summary

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about colour combinations and explore different types of boats."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Do' activity (Page 39).

      1. red + blue = purple

      1. yellow + blue = green

      1. red + yellow = orange

      1. red + white = pink

      1. red + black = maroon

      1. red + yellow + blue = brown

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Explore' activity (Page 39).

    • Activity A: Make a list of different types of boats.

      • Examples: Sailboat, motorboat, rowboat, ferry, canoe, kayak, yacht, steamboat, fishing boat.

    • Activity B: Split the class into two groups.

      • Group 1: Human-made things (ships, bridges, roads, buildings, cars)

      • Group 2: Natural things (clouds, rainbows, rivers, seas, mountains)

  • My Action: I will share the 'Did You Know?' fact (Page 39).

    • Isaac Newton created a spinning disc with the seven colours of the rainbow. When it spins fast, your eyes see white instead of all the colours.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the colour combination activity.

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the differences between human-made and natural things in groups.

  • Example: "Group 1, tell us about human-made things. Group 2, tell us about natural things."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to draw a rainbow and write the colours.

  • Example: "Draw a rainbow in your notebook and label the colours in the correct order."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.

  • Example: "In this unit, we read a beautiful poem about the rainbow. We learned that the rainbow is prettier than boats, ships, and bridges. We learned new vocabulary, rhyming words, compound words, opposites, and colour combinations. We also learned about the order of colours in a rainbow. Remember, nature has many wonderful things that are more beautiful than anything humans can build."