Subject: English
Class: 5
Chapter: Together We Can
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
Day 1
(Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Picture Story and Introduction
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)
- My Action: I will greet the class and
ask, "Children, have you ever seen a flock of birds? How do they fly
together?"
- My Action: I will show the picture of
the doves caught in the net.
- My Action: I will ask, "What do
you see in this picture? What is happening? What do you think the story is
about?"
- Example: "Look at the picture.
The doves are caught in a net. A hunter is hiding behind a tree. How will
they escape? Let's find out!"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)
- My Action: I will read the
pre-reading story aloud with proper expression.
- My Action: I will ask the following
questions:
- "Where did the doves go to
find food?"
- "What did they see on the
ground?"
- "What happened when they
started eating?"
- "Who was hiding behind the
tree?"
- "What did the old dove
plan?"
- "Who helped the doves get
free?"
- Example: "The doves flew in
search of food. They saw rice grains under a banyan tree. They were caught
in a net. Micky Mouse and his family cut the net and set the doves
free."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the story in pairs.
- My Action: I will ask students to
retell the story in their own words.
- Example: "Ravi, can you tell
the story of the doves in your own words? What happened at the beginning,
in the middle, and at the end?"
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their own experiences of teamwork.
- Example: "Sita, have you ever
worked together with your friends to do something? What did you do? How
did you feel?"
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will tell students to
think about the phrase "Together we can."
- Example: "What does 'Together
we can' mean? Think about it and we will discuss it tomorrow."
Day 2
(Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Reciting the Poem
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will recite a beautiful poem about teamwork and unity. The poem is also
called 'Together We Can'."
- My Action: I will write the title on
the board: "Together We Can."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will read the poem
"Together We Can" aloud with proper rhythm and expression.
- My Action: I will explain new words:
- cheer: joy, happiness
- overcome: win, get over
- shine: glow, dazzle
- strong: powerful
- team spirit: fellowship
- trust: belief, faith
- My Action: I will read the poem again
and ask students to repeat after me.
- Example: "'Together we stand,
strong and tall.' What does this line mean? It means when we are together,
we are strong."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the poem in groups.
- My Action: I will ask students to
identify rhyming words in the poem.
- Example: "Can you find the
rhyming words? 'Tall' and 'fall' rhyme. 'Sing' and 'anything' rhyme.
'Share' and 'there' rhyme."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about a time they worked as a team.
- Example: "Think about a time
you worked with your friends or family. How did it feel? Did you achieve
your goal?"
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will assign homework to
memorize the poem.
- Example: "Practice reciting
the poem at home. Try to memorize it. We will recite it together
tomorrow."
Day 3
(Period 3)
Topic: Post-reading - VMDT and 'Let us Listen and Speak'
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will revise the poem by
reciting it with the class.
- Example: "Let's recite the
poem 'Together We Can' together. Ready? Together we stand, strong and
tall..."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Visual
Memory Development Technique' (VMDT) on page 35.
- Whole: team spirit, together we
shine, helping each other, win or lose we always share.
- Part: teamwork, bond of trust,
helping each other.
- My Action: I will discuss the 'Let us
Discuss' questions (Page 34).
- Question 1: "The poem is
about __________ of people." - unity
- Question 2: "What happens
when we help each other?" - We never fall.
- Question 3: "What helps to
face any difficulty?" - Teamwork
- Question 4: "What should
we share?" - Win or lose, we always share.
- Question 5: "We can reach
our goal when (A) we join our hands."
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
Listen and Speak' section (Pages 35-36).
- Activity 1: Chain drill.
- Teacher: "Together we stand,
strong and tall, Helping each other, we never fall."
- Student 1: "Together we stand,
strong and tall, Helping each other, we never fall."
- Student 2: "Together we stand,
strong and tall, Helping each other, we never fall."
- Activity 2: Dialogue between
Piku and Kupi.
- I will model the conversation.
- Students will practice in
pairs.
- Activity 3: Listen and tick the
words from the poem.
- strong (✔)
- trust (✔)
- teamwork (✔)
- tall (✔)
- cheer (✔)
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
practice the chain drill in groups.
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their favourite food and festival with their partner.
- Example: "Hello, I am Anjali.
My favourite food is biryani. My favourite festival is Diwali. In this
festival, we light diyas and burst crackers."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the dialogue with their partner.
- Example: "Now, turn to your
partner and complete the dialogue. Share your favourite food and
festival."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
think about what makes a good team.
- Example: "What qualities make
a team successful? Write your answer in your notebook."
Day 4
(Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Read' (Pages 36-38)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will read a story about an ant and a laddu. We will also read about a boy
who helped his village."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
read the passage about the ant silently (Page 36).
- My Action: I will ask questions about
the ant story:
- (i) "What did the ant see
on the rack?" - A big laddu.
- (ii) "Could the ant bring
the laddu?" - No, he could not.
- (iii) "How did he bring
the laddu?" - He called all his friends and family members.
- (iv) "What do you learn
from the story?" - Unity is strength. Together we can do
anything.
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the picture story (Page 37).
- "A boy lived in a village.
One rainy morning he was going to school. The road was muddy.
He fell down into a pit. He got up and reached school in his
dirty and wet clothes. The teacher praised him. Holidays
came. He called his friends. They all worked hard and filled
the pit with stones and sand. The road was
made. It was safe for the people. Everyone thanked the boy and the team.
Do you know the boy? He was no other than Madhusudan Das."
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the picture story in their notebooks.
- My Action: I will ask students to
retell the story of the boy and the ant.
- Example: "Now, retell the
story of the ant and the laddu in your own words. What happened? What did
you learn?"
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
share their own stories of helping others.
- Example: "Have you ever helped
someone or been helped by someone? Tell us your story."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will assign homework to
write the moral of the ant story.
- Example: "What is the moral of
the ant story? Write it in your notebook."
Day 5
(Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Pages 38-40)
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will say, "Today we
will learn about collective nouns and prepositions."
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
Write' section (Page 38).
- Activity 1: Fill in the blanks
with the correct words from the box.
- (i) a faggot of sticks (done)
- (ii) a flock of
sheep
- (iii) a pack of
wolves
- (iv) a bouquet of
flowers
- (v) a grove of
trees
- (vi) a swarm of
bees
- (vii) a choir of
boys
- (viii) a bunch of
keys
- I will explain that these are
called 'collective nouns' - words used for a group of things or people.
- My Action: I will explain the map
activity (Page 40).
- (i) The post office is between the
hospital.
- (ii) There is a bookstore near the
Children's park.
- (iii) The bank is behind the
school.
- (iv) There is an
ambulance in front of the hospital.
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
complete the activities in their notebooks.
- My Action: I will ask students to
make their own sentences using collective nouns.
- Example: "A flock of birds is
flying in the sky." / "A swarm of bees attacked the man."
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to use
prepositions in sentences.
- Example: "The book is on the
table." / "The cat is under the chair."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will assign homework to
write 5 collective nouns with their meanings.
Day 6
(Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Mental Talk', 'Let us Do', and 'Just for
Fun'
1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will revise the poem and
the activities.
- Example: "We have learned a
lot about teamwork and unity. Today we will have some fun!"
2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)
- My Action: I will discuss the 'Mental
Talk' (Page 41).
- Example: "Unity is strength.
When we work together, we can achieve anything."
- My Action: I will explain the 'Let us
Do' activity (Pages 42-43) - Creating a symbol for togetherness.
- I will show students how to
fold the paper, draw a figure, cut it, and unfold it.
- I will explain that the joined
figures symbolize togetherness.
- My Action: I will read the 'Just for
Fun' riddle (Page 43).
- "I am in your class. When
you cut my head, I am on your head. If you still cut my head, I am
everywhere. Who am I?"
- Answer: A chair
- (Explanation: chair is in
class, cut the head - 'hair' is on your head, cut the head again - 'air'
is everywhere.)
3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)
- My Action: I will give students time
to create their symbol for togetherness.
- My Action: I will ask students to
paste their creations in their notebooks.
4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will ask students to
write the riddle and its answer in their notebooks.
- Example: "Write the riddle and
the answer in your notebook."
5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)
- My Action: I will summarize the unit.
- Example: "In this unit, we
learned about the power of unity and teamwork. We read the story of the
doves and the ant. We recited a beautiful poem about togetherness. We
learned about collective nouns and prepositions. Remember, together we can
achieve anything!"