Subject: English

Class: 5
Chapter: Braille  
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
 


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Matching Inventions with Inventors

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, what inventions do you know? Who invented the mobile phone, radio, television, bicycle, ballpoint pen, and computer?"

  • My Action: I will show the matching activity on the board.

  • My Action: I will help students match the inventions with the inventors.

    • mobile phone - Martin Cooper

    • radio - G. Marconi

    • television - John Baird

    • bicycle - Boron K. Drais

    • ball-point pen - Joseph Biro

    • computer - Charles Babbage

  • Example: "Martin Cooper invented the mobile phone. G. Marconi invented the radio. John Baird invented the television."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Now, do you know Louis Braille? He was also a great inventor. He invented something very special for blind people."

  • My Action: I will ask, "What do you know about Louis Braille? Have you ever seen a Braille book?"

  • My Action: I will show a picture of Louis Braille and the Braille alphabet.

  • Example: "Louis Braille was a French man. He became blind as a child. He invented a system of reading and writing for blind people. It is called 'Braille'."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the matching activity in their notebooks.

  • My Action: I will ask students to say the names of the inventors aloud.

  • Example: "Who invented the telephone? Alexander Graham Bell. Who invented the light bulb? Thomas Edison."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about how life would be without these inventions.

  • Example: "How would our lives be different without mobile phones or computers?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to find out about one more invention and its inventor.

  • Example: "Find out about the invention of the printing press and its inventor. Write it in your notebook."


Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Parts 1-2 of the Story (Pages 172-173)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read about the life of Louis Braille. Let's find out how he became blind and what he invented."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read Parts 1-2 of the story (Pages 172-173) aloud with proper expression.

  • My Action: I will explain new words:

    • blacksmith: a person who makes and repairs things made of iron

    • pierced: got into with force, entered sharply

    • affected: attacked

    • pincushion: a small pad for holding pins

    • raised: higher than the place around

    • symbol: sign

    • alphabet: a set of letters in a fixed order

    • require: need

    • teenager: someone between 13 and 19 years old

  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:

    • "What is the first paragraph about?" - Louis Braille's accident and blindness.

    • "Louis Braille was born in..." - (d) France

    • "His father was a..." - (b) blacksmith

    • "What was Louis Braille playing with?" - The tools around him.

    • "He became blind because..." - (c) a sharp tool pierced his eye.

    • "Where did he study?" - The Royal Institute for Young Blind Persons in Paris.

    • "How did he learn letters?" - By using wood, cloth, or pins arranged in pincushions.

    • "Who invented 'Night Writing'?" - Capt. Charles Barbier de la Serre.

    • "Was it a success? Why?" - No, it was too difficult.

    • "What did Louis invent?" - The Braille alphabet.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read Parts 1-2 in pairs.

  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions from the 'Let us Discuss' section.

    • Question 1: "What is the first paragraph about?" - Louis Braille's accident and blindness.

    • Question 2: "Louis Braille was born in..." - (d) France

    • Question 3: "His father was a..." - (b) blacksmith

    • Question 4: "What was Louis Braille playing with?" - The tools around him.

    • Question 5: "He became blind because..." - (c) a sharp tool pierced his eye.

    • Question 6: "Where did he study?" - The Royal Institute for Young Blind Persons in Paris.

    • Question 7: "How did he learn letters?" - By using wood, cloth, or pins arranged in pincushions.

    • Question 8: "Who invented 'Night Writing'?" - Capt. Charles Barbier de la Serre.

    • Question 9: "Was it a success? Why?" - No, it was too difficult.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their thoughts about Louis Braille.

  • Example: "What do you think about Louis Braille? He overcame his blindness and invented something wonderful."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about how blind people read and write.

  • Example: "How do blind people read and write? They use Braille."


Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Parts 3-5 of the Story (Pages 173-174)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story so far by asking, "What happened to Louis Braille? What did he invent?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read Parts 3-5 of the story (Pages 173-174) aloud.

  • My Action: I will explain new words:

    • Braille: a form of written language for the blind

    • symbol: sign

    • space: blank place

  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:

    • "What is Braille?" - A method of reading through touch.

    • "How many Braille symbols are there for the English alphabet?" - Twenty-six.

    • "Why does a Braille book require more space?" - Because the letters cannot be written too close together.

    • "Which is thicker: a Braille book or a regular printed book?" - A Braille book.

    • "Can people with sight learn Braille?" - Yes.

  • Example: "Braille is a method of reading through touch. There is one Braille symbol for each letter. Braille books are thicker because the letters need more space."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read Parts 3-5 in groups.

  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions from the 'Let us Discuss' section.

    • Question 10: "What did Louis invent?" - The Braille alphabet.

    • Question 11: "A blind person taught the world to see. Who was the blind person?" - Louis Braille.

    • Question 12: "What is Braille?" - A method of reading through touch.

    • Question 13: "Which is thicker: a Braille book or a regular printed book?" - A Braille book.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the importance of Braille.

  • Example: "Why is Braille important? It helps blind people read and write."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to write a short paragraph about Louis Braille.

  • Example: "Write a short paragraph about Louis Braille. Include his birth, accident, and invention."


Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - VMDT, 'Let us Listen and Speak', and 'Think and Discuss'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story by asking, "What did Louis Braille invent? How does Braille work?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Visual Memory Development Technique' (VMDT) on page 177.

    • Whole: Louis Braille playing outside his home, Reading with fingers in the dark, Braille symbols invented, Louis Braille became blind.

    • Part: 10 year old, using wood, pin cushions, Braille alphabet, Night Writing.

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Listen and Speak' activity (Page 177).

    • I will read the words and students will repeat.

    • night, sight, write, wrestle, right, night, wrong, writer, fight, tight, wrist, whole, eight, light, wrapper, wrinkle

    • I will explain that 'gh' in 'night' and 'w' in 'write' are silent.

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Guess and say' activity (Page 178).

    • Students will close their eyes, pick an object, and complete the sentences.

    • (i) The object in my hand was thick/thin in shape.

    • (ii) The object in my hand was long/short.

    • (iii) The object in my hand was big/small.

    • (iv) The object in my hand was heavy/light.

    • (v) The object in my hand was soft/hard.

  • My Action: I will discuss the 'Think and discuss' questions (Page 178).

    • a. "You may have seen people with blindness walking with a white cane. Why is the cane always white-coloured?" - It helps others see them easily and avoid bumping into them.

    • b. "Imagine that the world becomes dark for a day and there is no light. What difficulties might one face on such a day?" - We cannot see anything, we might bump into things, we cannot read or write.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to practice the pronunciation of the words.

  • My Action: I will ask students to do the 'Guess and say' activity in pairs.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their experiences from the 'Guess and say' activity.

  • Example: "What did you pick? How did it feel? Was it hard or soft?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about how they can help people with blindness.

  • Example: "How can you help a person with blindness?"


Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Read' (Bhima Bhoi), Braille Alphabet, and Matching

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read about a saint and poet from Odisha who was blind. We will also learn about the Braille alphabet."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the passage about Bhima Bhoi (Page 179).

    • Bhima Bhoi was born in 1850. He lost his eyesight at an early age. He was a cow tender. Mahima Gosain was his spiritual Guru. He wrote poetry and spread Mahima Dharma.

  • My Action: I will ask students to tick the right statements and cross the wrong ones.

    • (i) Bhima Bhoi was a saint poet. - True

    • (ii) He was born to rich parents. - False

    • (iii) He was not born blind. - True

    • (iv) Chaitanya Gosain was his Guru. - False

    • (v) He worked as a cowboy. - True

    • (vi) A Santhal couple were his parents. - False

    • (vii) He spread the message of Mahima Gosain. - True

  • My Action: I will explain the Braille alphabet (Page 180).

    • I will show the Braille symbols for each letter.

    • I will explain that each symbol has raised dots that can be felt with fingers.

  • My Action: I will explain the matching activity (Page 181).

    • Match the picture words with Braille words.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the True/False activity.

  • My Action: I will ask students to practice reading the Braille alphabet.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to write their names in Braille.

  • Example: "Try to write your name in Braille using the alphabet."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to find out about another visually impaired person who achieved great things.


Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Biodata, Past Tense, Picture Story), 'Mental Talk', and 'Let us Do'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will complete Louis Braille's biodata, learn about past tense, and do some fun activities."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the biodata activity (Page 182).

    • Name: Louis Braille

    • Father: Simon-Rene Braille

    • Mother: Monique Braille

    • Country of birth: France

    • Year of birth: 1809

    • School: Royal Institute for Young Blind Persons in Paris

    • Invention: Braille alphabet

  • My Action: I will explain the past tense activity (Page 183).

    • The dogs are barking at the stranger. → The dogs were barking at the stranger.

    • Grandfather is searching for his spectacles. → Grandfather was searching for his spectacles.

    • Snigdha is writing a letter. → Snigdha was writing a letter.

    • He is singing a song. → He was singing a song.

    • We are playing kho-kho. → We were playing kho-kho.

    • I am watering plants. → I was watering plants.

  • My Action: I will explain the picture story activity (Page 184).

    • My friend, Hasina told me an interesting thing yesterday. She was feeding her friends, the squirrels and the sparrows. She was scattering grains for them. Her grandmother was hanging out the clothes to dry on a clothesline. Grandmother was entering the house when a strong wind began to blow. When she returned with the cloth pegs, she saw a wonderful scene! The sparrows and squirrels were sitting on the clothes to prevent them from falling. Hasina was clapping her hands with joy. Grandmother put the pegs on the clothes, and Hasina set down a bowl of water for her friends.

  • My Action: I will discuss the 'Mental Talk' (Page 186).

  • Example: "The world needs our helping hands. We should come forward with our mite."

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Do' activities (Pages 186-188).

    • Activity 1: Use a matchstick or pencil to draw a shape on paper and feel it with closed eyes.

    • Activity 2: Discuss how to assist children with low vision.

    • Activity 3: Write words using the Braille alphabet (paste bindis).

    • Activity 4: Write your name in Braille.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the biodata, past tense, and picture story activities in their notebooks.

  • My Action: I will ask students to try writing their names in Braille.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share how they can assist children with low vision.

  • Example: "How can you help a classmate with low vision? I can help them read by using large fonts. I can guide them in the school."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.

  • Example: "In this unit, we learned about Louis Braille and his invention. Braille is a system of reading and writing for blind people. We learned that we should be kind and helpful to people with disabilities. We also learned about past tense and the Braille alphabet. Remember, the world needs our helping hands."