Subject: English

Class: 5
Chapter: The Swing  

Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
 


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction to the Poem

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and show the picture of children playing on a swing.
  • My Action: I will ask the pre-reading questions:
    • "Who are there in the picture?" - Children playing on a swing.
    • "Where are they?" - They are in a garden or park.
    • "They are playing on a swing. Can you say which festival of Odisha comes to your mind?" - Raja festival.
    • "Have you ever played on a swing? Do you enjoy the game?" - (Students share their experiences.)
  • Example: "Today we are going to read a beautiful poem about the joy of swinging. The poem is called 'The Swing' by Robert Louis Stevenson."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to close their books and listen to the poem.
  • My Action: I will read the poem "The Swing" aloud with proper rhythm and expression.
  • My Action: I will ask a few general questions to check listening comprehension:
    • "What is the poem about?" - Swinging.
    • "Who is playing on the swing?" - A child.
    • "Tell some words you have listened in the poem." - Up, air, blue, swing, wall, rivers, trees, cattle, garden, roof.
  • Example: "The poem is about a child who enjoys swinging up in the air."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the poem aloud for the third time and students will follow in their books.
  • My Action: I will read the poem line by line and ask students to repeat after me.
  • My Action: I will allow students to read the poem silently and understand.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their own experiences of swinging.
  • Example: "Rohan, have you ever played on a swing? How did you feel when you went up in the air?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to draw a picture of a swing and colour it.
  • Example: "Draw a picture of a swing in your notebook. You can colour it beautifully."

Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Understanding the Poem

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the poem by asking, "What is the name of the poem? Who wrote it?"
  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will understand the poem in detail."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read the poem again and explain the meaning of each line.
  • My Action: I will explain new words:
    • cattle: cows and oxen
    • countryside: village area
    • pleasantest: happiest, enjoyable
    • the air so blue: sky
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions from the 'Let us Discuss' section (Page 125-126):
    • "Who is 'I' in the poem?" - A child.
    • "What is he playing?" - A swing.
    • "What does he see when he goes up?" - He sees rivers, trees, cattle, garden, roof, and the countryside.
    • "What does he see when he comes down?" - He sees the garden green and the roof so brown.
    • "What does he see over the wall?" - He sees rivers, trees, and cattle.
    • "How does he feel when in a swing?" - He feels happy and thinks it is the pleasantest thing.
    • "What colour is the garden?" - Green.
    • "What colour is the roof?" - Brown.
    • "In the expression 'the air so blue', 'the air' means _______." - The sky.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the poem in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to answer the questions in their notebooks.
  • Example: "Write the answers to the questions from the 'Let us Discuss' section in your notebook."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to describe what they see when they go up on a swing.
  • Example: "Imagine you are on a swing. What do you see when you go up? I see trees, houses, and the sky."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to memorize the poem.
  • Example: "Practice reciting the poem at home. Try to memorize it."

Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: Post-reading - VMDT and 'Let us Listen and Speak'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the poem by reciting it with the class.
  • Example: "Let's recite the poem 'The Swing' together. Ready? How do you like to go up in a swing..."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Visual Memory Development Technique' (VMDT) on page 126.
    • Whole: going up and down in the swing
    • Part: seeing the countryside from the swing (stanza-2) - trees, roof, garden, river, cattle, the wall
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Listen and Speak' section (Page 126-127).
    • Activity 1: Chain drill.
      • Student 1: "I like to go up in a swing. What about you?"
      • Student 2: "I like to come down in a swing. What about you?"
      • (Continues)
    • Activity 2: Rhyming words.
      • swing - thing
      • blue - do
      • all - wall
      • brown - down
      • wide - countryside
    • Activity 3: Recitation in groups.
      • Group 1 recites the first line, Group 2 recites the second line, and so on.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to practice the chain drill in groups.
  • My Action: I will ask students to identify the rhyming words in the poem.
  • Example: "Find two pairs of rhyming words from the poem. 'Blue' and 'do' rhyme. 'Wall' and 'all' rhyme."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own rhyming words.
  • Example: "Can you think of two rhyming words for 'swing'? Ring, king, sing."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to write 5 pairs of rhyming words.
  • Example: "Write 5 pairs of rhyming words in your notebook."

Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Read' and 'Let us Write' (Rhyming Words)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will arrange the lines of the poem in the correct order. We will also learn more about rhyming words."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Read' activity (Page 127).
    • Arrange the lines in the correct order.
    • Stanza 1:
      • 1. How do you like to go up in a swing,
      • 2. Up in the air so blue?
      • 3. Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing,
      • 4. Even a child can do!
    • Stanza 2:
      • 1. Up in the air and over the wall,
      • 2. Till I can see so wide,
      • 3. Rivers and trees and cattle and all,
      • 4. Over the countryside.
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Write' activity (Page 128).
    • Copy the rhyming words from the poem in Column A and add two more in Column B.
      • swing - thingring, king
      • blue - dotrue, new
      • wall - allcall, fall
      • brown - downclown, crown
      • wide - countrysideside, ride

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the arrangement activity in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the rhyming words table.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to use the rhyming words in sentences.
  • Example: "Use 'ring' and 'king' in sentences. I have a ring. The king is kind."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to find 5 more pairs of rhyming words from the dictionary.

Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Describing Words, Prepositions)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about describing words (adjectives) and prepositions."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the describing words activity (Page 129).
    • Match the describing words with the nouns.
      • tall - tree
      • high - sky
      • brown - roof
      • wide - river
      • green - garden
      • blue - wall
    • Make sentences using the matching pairs.
      • The tree is tall.
      • The sky is high.
      • The roof is brown.
      • The river is wide.
      • The garden is green.
      • The wall is blue.
  • My Action: I will explain the prepositions activity (Page 130).
    • Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions: on, beside, between, above, in front of, behind, under
    • (i) There is a ladybug between the two flower pots.
    • (ii) A butterfly is flying above the flower.
    • (iii) A honeybee is sitting on the flower.
    • (iv) The watercan is beside the flower pots.
    • (v) An ant is walking on the leaf.
    • (vi) A caterpillar is walking behind a flower pot.
    • (vii) A leaf has fallen under the flower pot.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the describing words activity in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the prepositions activity.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own sentences using prepositions.
  • Example: "The book is on the table. The cat is under the chair. The bird is above the tree."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to write 5 sentences using prepositions.
  • Example: "Write 5 sentences using prepositions like 'on', 'under', 'above', 'beside', and 'between'."

Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Mental Talk', 'Let us Do', and Summary

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the poem and the activities.
  • Example: "We have learned a beautiful poem about the swing. Today we will do some fun activities and summarize the unit."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will discuss the 'Mental Talk' (Page 131).
  • Example: "The joy of playing in a swing knows no bounds. Do you agree? Why?"
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Do' activity (Page 132).
    • Activity 1: Draw a picture of a swing and colour it.
    • Activity 2: Talk about the Raja festival.
      • "Odisha celebrates different festivals in different months. The Raja festival in the month of June adds colour to life. It is observed with pomp and ceremony. To mark the occasion, the young girls wear new clothes, ornaments and play in the swing with the popular folk song."
  • My Action: I will ask students to write answers to the questions (Page 131).
    • (i) "Who is playing on the swing?" - A child.
    • (ii) "What is the pleasantest thing?" - Going up in a swing.
    • (iii) "What does he see over the wall?" - He sees rivers, trees, and cattle.
    • (iv) "What colour is the garden?" - Green.
    • (v) "Who is 'I' in the poem?" - A child.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to draw and colour a swing in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to write a short paragraph about the Raja festival.
  • Example: "Write a short paragraph about the Raja festival. What do people do? What do children do?"

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their drawings and paragraphs with the class.
  • Example: "Riya, can you show your drawing? What did you draw?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.
  • Example: "In this unit, we read a beautiful poem about the joy of swinging. We learned new vocabulary, rhyming words, describing words, and prepositions. We also learned about the Raja festival. Remember, swinging is a fun activity that brings joy to children."