Subject: English

Class: 5
Chapter: The Lagori Champions  
Time: 6 Days (40 minutes each period)
 


Day 1 (Period 1)
Topic: Pre-reading - Introduction to Team Games

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (8 minutes)

  • My Action: I will greet the class and ask, "Children, what are your favourite games? Do you play any traditional games?"
  • My Action: I will show the picture of children playing Lagori.
  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the table with the number of players in a team for each game.
    • football - 11
    • cricket - 11
    • hockey - 11
    • volleyball - 6
    • basketball - 5
    • badminton singles - 1
    • badminton doubles - 2
  • Example: "How many players are there in a football team? 11 players. How many in a cricket team? 11 players."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (12 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask, "Do you know what Lagori is? Have you ever played it?"
  • My Action: I will explain that Lagori is a traditional Indian game played with stones and a ball.
  • My Action: I will show pictures of the game being played.
  • Example: "Lagori is a traditional game. One team knocks down a stack of stones with a ball, and the other team tries to rebuild the stack while avoiding the ball."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to name other traditional games they know.
  • Example: "What other traditional games do you know? Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Gilli Danda, Pitthu Garam, Satoliya."
  • My Action: I will ask students to share their experiences of playing these games.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about the importance of teamwork in games.
  • Example: "Why is teamwork important in games? In Lagori, the team must work together to rebuild the stack."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to ask their parents about traditional games they played in their childhood.
  • Example: "Ask your parents about traditional games they played when they were young. Write their names in your notebook."

Day 2 (Period 2)
Topic: While-reading - Part I of the Story (Pages 106-108)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read the first part of the story. Prakash has come to visit his cousin Ravi. They are going to play a Lagori match."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read Part I of the story (Pages 106-108) aloud with proper expression.
  • My Action: I will explain new words:
    • introduce: to tell about someone meeting for the first time
    • opponent: one who plays against somebody
    • stack: a neat pile of something
    • knock down: push down
    • rebuild: set right again, put in place
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "Who introduced Prakash to the other children?"
    • "What is the name of their team?"
    • "Who is the captain of the team?"
    • "What is the name of the opponent team?"
    • "How many flat stones are used in Lagori?"
  • Example: "Ravi introduced Prakash to all his friends. Their team is called 'Sundarpur Tigers'. Deepa is the captain. The opponent team is called 'Green Warriors'. Seven flat stones are stacked one on the other."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the story in pairs.
  • My Action: I will ask students to identify the characters in the story.
  • Example: "Who are the characters in the story? Prakash, Ravi, Guneet, Deepa, Imran, Nidhi."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to describe the game of Lagori in their own words.
  • Example: "Can you describe the game of Lagori? Seven flat stones are stacked. One team knocks them down with a ball. The other team tries to rebuild the stack."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to draw a picture of the Lagori game.
  • Example: "Draw a picture showing the stack of seven stones and the ball."

Day 3 (Period 3)
Topic: While-reading - Part II of the Story (Pages 108-110)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will read the second part of the story. The match is about to begin!"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will read Part II of the story (Pages 108-110) aloud with proper expression.
  • My Action: I will explain new words:
    • scatter: drop in different directions
    • dodge: quick movement to avoid something
    • duck: move down head quickly
    • referee: the official who controls the game
  • My Action: I will ask comprehension questions:
    • "Who took the first shot?"
    • "What happened when Deepa threw the ball?"
    • "Who placed the seventh stone on top?"
    • "Which team won the match?"
    • "What did the players do after the match?"
  • Example: "Deepa took the first shot and the stones scattered. Prakash placed the seventh stone on top. The Sundarpur Tigers won the match. The players from both teams shook hands and thanked each other for a good game."

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to read the story in groups.
  • My Action: I will ask students to sequence the events of the story.
  • Example: "What happened first? Deepa threw the ball. What happened next? Ravi stacked two stones. What happened last? Prakash placed the seventh stone."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to discuss the importance of sportsmanship.
  • Example: "Why did the players shake hands after the match? They showed good sportsmanship. They appreciated each other for a good game."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to think about a time they showed good sportsmanship.
  • Example: "Have you ever shown good sportsmanship? What happened?"

Day 4 (Period 4)
Topic: Post-reading - VMDT, 'Let us Listen and Speak', and Sequencing

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will revise the story by asking questions.
  • Example: "Who won the Lagori match? What did the players do after the match?"

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the 'Visual Memory Development Technique' (VMDT) on page 112.
    • Whole: picture of the children's park, the opponent team, seven flat stones, Green Warriors, Sundarpur Tigers, final whistle, teamwork
    • Part: All children gathered for the match, Green Warrior threw the ball, traditional games, players shook hands, Sundarpur Tigers won
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Listen and Speak' activity (Pages 112-113).
    • Activity 1: Find the odd word.
      • (i) I'm learning the rules of different sports like football, basketball, reading, running and swimming. → reading
      • (ii) After school in the playground, we play Gilli Danda, hide and seek, swimming, hopscotch, skipping and hockey. → swimming
      • (iii) My brother likes to play Kabaddi, basketball, badminton, kho-kho, knitting and Lagori. → knitting
      • (iv) In the sports class, we get training for climbing, sprinting, jumping, stretching and writing. → writing
      • (v) We use a ball while playing cricket, hockey, skipping, tennis and volleyball. → skipping
  • My Action: I will explain the sequencing activity (Page 114).
    • Number the sentences in order:
      • (vi) The referee blew the whistle and Nidhi took the first shot.
      • (iv) Cheers came from the Tigers' side.
      • (iii) Nidhi threw the ball with precision, and the stones scattered.
      • (vii) The Sundarpur Tigers began to rebuild the stack of stones.
      • (ii) The Green Warriors took the ball and aimed to hit the Tigers.
      • (i) The Sundarpur villagers lifted the hands of both the captains and everyone celebrated.
      • (v) All the players from both the teams shook hands and appreciated each other for a good game.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the sequencing activity in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to practice the odd word activity in pairs.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their favourite traditional game.
  • Example: "What is your favourite traditional game? Why do you like it?"

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to write 5 sentences about their favourite traditional game.

Day 5 (Period 5)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Word Grid, Sentences, Opposites)

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will do some writing activities. We will find words in a grid, rearrange sentences, and learn about opposites."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the word grid activity (Page 115).
    • Find at least six words in the grid.
      • sweat, team, green, red, include, stone, stack
  • My Action: I will explain the sentence rearrangement activity (Page 116).
    • (i) The field is marked with a boundary.
    • (ii) Prakash looked at everybody with surprise.
    • (iii) I saw a peacock dancing in the rain.
    • (iv) The clouds in the sky are white and grey.
    • (v) Plants need fresh water every day.
  • My Action: I will explain the opposites activity (Page 115).
    • (i) large → small
    • (ii) long → short
    • (iii) margin → centre
    • (iv) beautiful → ugly
    • (v) hot → cold
    • (vi) outside → inside
    • (vii) fast → slowly

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the word grid, sentence rearrangement, and opposites activities in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to use the words from the grid in sentences.
  • Example: "Sweat: He was sweating after the match. Team: Our team won the match."

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to create their own sentences using the rearranged words.
  • Example: "Now, use the rearranged sentences in your own writing."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will assign homework to find 10 opposites in a dictionary.

Day 6 (Period 6)
Topic: Post-reading - 'Let us Write' (Questions, Ordinal Numbers), 'Mental Talk', and 'Let us Do'

1. ଅଧୀତି (Introduction): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will say, "Today we will learn about questions, ordinal numbers, and traditional games."

2. ବୋଧ (Understanding): (15 minutes)

  • My Action: I will explain the questions activity (Page 117).
    • (i) My name is Sonam. (Not a question)
    • (ii) What is your name? (Question)
    • (iii) Where do you stay? (Question)
    • (iv) This flower is beautiful. (Not a question)
    • (v) My shirt is blue in colour. (Not a question)
  • My Action: I will explain the ordinal numbers activity (Page 118).
    • (i) A week has seven days. (Cardinal)
    • (ii) January is the first month of the year. (Ordinal)
    • (iii) India is the fourth country to send Chandrayan to Moon. (Ordinal)
    • (iv) Next week, Ayushman will be 17. It will be his seventeenth birthday. (Ordinal)
    • (v) Chandan stands first in the class. (Ordinal)
    • (vi) There are twelve months in a year. (Cardinal)
    • (vii) Lal Bahadur Shastri was the second Prime Minister of India. (Ordinal)
  • My Action: I will discuss the 'Mental Talk' (Page 120).
  • Example: "We should play our traditional games more. They are full of so much fun and joy!"
  • My Action: I will explain the 'Let us Do' activity (Page 122).
    • Write the names of best 10 friends and their favourite games.

3. ଅଭ୍ୟାସ (Practice): (10 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to complete the ordinal numbers activity in their notebooks.
  • My Action: I will ask students to write the names of their friends and their favourite games.

4. ପ୍ରୟୋଗ (Application): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will ask students to share their friends' favourite games.
  • Example: "Riya, what is your best friend's favourite game? My best friend likes to play cricket."

5. ପ୍ରସାର (Extension): (5 minutes)

  • My Action: I will summarize the unit.
  • Example: "In this unit, we read the story 'The Lagori Champions'. We learned about a traditional game called Lagori. We learned about teamwork, sportsmanship, and the importance of playing traditional games. We also learned about ordinal numbers, questions, and opposites. Remember, traditional games are fun and keep us healthy."