I. Simple
Sentences
Activity
- 1
Pick out
the finite verbs in the following sentences:
- (i) Nilima has a good memory. -> has
- (ii) He shall not enter the
house. -> shall
- (iii) We have not yet received
the money.
-> have
- (iv) He has been studying to
pass the examination. -> has
- (v) Ramesh works in a bank. -> works
- (vi) We must obey the rules of
the road. ->
must
II. Kinds
of Simple Sentences
Activity
- 2
Some
simple sentences are given below. Mention against each, whether it is
declarative, interrogative, imperative, exclamatory.
- (i) Abdul is a strong boy. -> Declarative
- (ii) Let us move on. -> Imperative
- (iii) Who told you that story? -> Interrogative
- (iv) How luckily I escaped the
accident !
-> Exclamatory
- (v) Don't touch a live wire. -> Imperative
- (vi) Are you coming with him? -> Interrogative
- (vii) Turn to page 25 in your
grammar book.
-> Imperative
- (viii) Who did you give it to ? -> Interrogative
Activity
- 3
Turn the
following declarative sentences into exclamatory sentences using 'how' or
'what' at the beginning of the sentences:
- (i) The weather is very fine.
-> How
fine the weather is!
- (ii) She is a very intelligent
girl.
-> What
an intelligent girl she is!
- (iii) He speaks very fluently.
-> How
fluently he speaks!
- (iv) She has got a very sharp
memory.
-> What a
sharp memory she has got!
- (v) It is a very beautiful
night.
-> What a
beautiful night it is!
- (vi) She has put on a very
costly necklace.
-> What a
costly necklace she has put on!
Activity
- 4
There are
some verbs in the brackets. Fill in the blanks in the following sentences
choosing the appropriate verbs from the brackets. (hope, concentrate, make,
avoid, take, get)
The
examination is at hand. Avoid watching television. Don't get
nervous. Always make the best use of your time. Concentrate on
your studies. Take the advice of your teachers when you are in
difficulty. Hope for the best.
III.
Compound Sentences
Activity
- 5
Combine
each pair of the following sentences into a compound sentence using
conjunctions such as: 'and', 'but', 'or', 'so', 'yet', 'for', otherwise.
- (i) He finished his exercises.
He put away his books.
-> He
finished his exercises and put away his books.
- (ii) He must not be late. He
will be punished.
-> He
must not be late, otherwise he will be punished.
- (iii) Make haste. You will be
late.
-> Make
haste, or you will be late. (or: Make haste, otherwise you will be late.)
- (iv) He is rich. He is not
contented.
-> He is
rich, but he is not contented. (or: He is rich, yet he is not contented.)
- (v) He was horrified. He saw
bloodstain on the floor.
-> He was
horrified, for he saw bloodstain on the floor.
- (vi) He tried hard. He did not
succeed.
-> He
tried hard, but he did not succeed.
- (vii) They took every
precaution. They suffered from the disease.
-> They
took every precaution, yet they suffered from the disease.
- (viii) I have a lot of work. I
must do it now.
-> I have
a lot of work, so I must do it now.
- (ix) Be good. You will be happy.
-> Be
good and you will be happy.
- (x) He practised daily. He
became an expert player.
-> He
practised daily, so he became an expert player. (or: He practised daily and became
an expert player.)
Activity
- 6
Combine
each pair of the following sentences into a compound sentence using one of the
correlatives: either... or, neither... nor, not only... but also, both ... and.
- (i) Energy is necessary for
success in life. Patience is also necessary for success in life.
-> Both
energy and patience are necessary for success in life. (or: Not only energy but
also patience is necessary for success in life.)
- (ii) I have left my glasses on
the bus. I have left my glasses at the office.
-> I have
left my glasses either on the bus or at the office.
- (iii) He cannot speak English.
He cannot speak Hindi.
-> He can
speak neither English nor Hindi.
- (iv) The boy is very healthy. He
is also very happy.
-> The
boy is not only very healthy but also very happy. (or: The boy is both very
healthy and very happy.)
- (v) He does not drink tea. He
does not drink coffee.
-> He
drinks neither tea nor coffee.
- (vi) She draws pictures neatly.
She also paints them beautifully.
-> She
not only draws pictures neatly but also paints them beautifully.
- (vii) The artists will sing for
us. They will dance for us too.
-> The
artists will both sing and dance for us. (or: The artists will not only sing
for us but also dance for us.)
IV.
Complex Sentences
Activity
- 7
Break up
each of the following sentences into separate clauses. Mark the main clause as
M.C. and subordinate clause as S.C:
- (i) He would go if you asked
him.
-> M.C.:
He would go
-> S.C.:
if you asked him
- (ii) You should not disbelieve
what he says.
-> M.C.:
You should not disbelieve
-> S.C.:
what he says
- (iii) He found the watch that he
had lost.
-> M.C.:
He found the watch
-> S.C.:
that he had lost
- (iv) Though he was born of poor
parents, he rose to greatness.
-> M.C.:
he rose to greatness
-> S.C.:
Though he was born of poor parents
- (v) We thought that he was a
hermit.
-> M.C.:
We thought
-> S.C.:
that he was a hermit
- (vi) A dog that barks seldom
bites.
-> M.C.:
A dog seldom bites
-> S.C.:
that barks
- (vii) The place where Buddha was
buried has recently been discovered.
-> M.C.:
The place has recently been discovered
-> S.C.:
where Buddha was buried
- (viii) It always pours when it
rains.
-> M.C.:
It always pours
-> S.C.: when
it rains
Activity
- 8
Study the
following sentences from your previous textbook. Write (S) against simple
sentences, (D) against compound sentences and (X) against complex sentences.
- (i) I saw that some of the
tables had been pushed into a corner. -> (X)
- (ii) I chose the corner table,
seated myself and started skimming through the newspaper. -> (D)
- (iii) When I had finished my
lunch, I asked the waiter about her. -> (X)
- (iv) The curiosity which I felt
about the girl persisted. -> (X)
- (v) I understood how she felt. -> (X)
- (vi) Do you usually go this way? -> (S)
- (vii) As we drank tea, I talked
about India. ->
(X)
- (viii) When I go to that part of
the country, I shall visit your brother's grave and write to you. -> (X)
- (ix) Maggie, take Mr Gupta
upstairs. ->
(S)
- (x) I got up and held her hand. -> (D)