Non-Finite Verb Forms

Activity - 1

Underline the non-finite verbs in the following sentences:

  • (a) He has been answering questions.

-> has been answering questions. (Note: "been" is also a non-finite verb, "answering" is the main non-finite verb)

  • (b) They must have finished doing their homework.

-> They must have finished doing their homework.

  • (c) She may have been helped by her brother.

-> She may have been helped by her brother.

  • (d) You should have been studying English Grammar more thoroughly.

-> You should have been studying English Grammar more thoroughly.

  • (e) The film must have been screened by now.

-> The film must have been screened by now.

Activity - 2

Break the following sentences into two simple sentences each.

  • (a) I want my friend to get the medal.

-> 1. My friend will get the medal.

-> 2. I want it.

  • (b) She helped me do the exercise.

-> 1. I did the exercise.

-> 2. She helped me.

  • (c) I hate telling lies.

-> 1. I tell lies.

-> 2. I hate it.

  • (d) I expect to write a story by tomorrow.

-> 1. I will write a story by tomorrow.

-> 2. I expect it.

  • (e) I expect you to write a story by tomorrow.

-> 1. You will write a story by tomorrow.

-> 2. I expect it.

  • (f) Our teacher made us write the story.

-> 1. We wrote the story.

-> 2. Our teacher made us do so.

Activity - 3

What are the functions of the non-finite verbs clauses in the following sentences? [The functions are: subject, object, complement, adjunct]

  • (a) She plans to buy some presents for her sister. -> Object
  • (b) Don't allow others to get into the room. -> Object
  • (c) He killed a snake to save the child. -> Adjunct (Expresses purpose)
  • (d) I heard her sing a song. -> Object
  • (e) To find fault with others is easy. -> Subject
  • (f) He is to go abroad next month. -> Complement

Activity - 4

Complete the following sentences by adding a non-finite clause using the words given in the brackets.

  • (a) They made _______ (I/do/it)

-> They made me do it.

  • (b) The gardener won't let _______ (they/touch/ the flowers)

-> The gardener won't let them touch the flowers.

  • (c) We heard _______ (the beggar/curse / the rude boys)

-> We heard the beggar curse the rude boys.

  • (d) The clerk doesn't allow _______ (anyone/see / the files)

-> The clerk doesn't allow anyone to see the files.

  • (e) Please remind _______ (he/write/ the letter)

-> Please remind him to write the letter.

Activity - 5

Complete the following sentences using the non-finite verbs given in brackets. Some of these non-finite verbs may go with a noun phrase of your choice.

  • (a) The teacher doesn't let (make) a noise in the class.

-> The teacher doesn't let us make a noise in the class.

  • (b) I would like (meet) my uncle.

-> I would like to meet my uncle.

  • (c) Hot weather makes (feel) uncomfortable.

-> Hot weather makes us feel uncomfortable.

  • (d) Please remind (phone) Ashok tomorrow.

-> Please remind him to phone Ashok tomorrow.

  • (e) The film was very sad. It made (cry).

-> The film was very sad. It made me cry.

  • (f) Lata's parents have always encouraged (study).

-> Lata's parents have always encouraged her to study.

  • (g) He would like (come) to the party.

-> He would like to come to the party.

Activity - 6

Fill in the blanks with to + verb, ɸ + verb, or verb-ing.

  • (a) I enjoy _______ (play) on the river bank.

-> I enjoy playing on the river bank.

  • (b) Where do you want _______ (go)?

-> Where do you want to go?

  • (c) I learnt _______ (swim) when I was 8 years old.

-> I learnt to swim when I was 8 years old.

  • (d) I am trying _______ (study). Please stop _______ (talk).

-> I am trying to study. Please stop talking.

  • (e) I don't mind _______ (travel) by bus but I prefer _______ (travel) by train.

-> I don't mind travelling by bus but I prefer to travel by train.

  • (f) She would not let me _______ (read) the letter.

-> She would not let me read the letter.

  • (g) Good bye. I hope _______ (see) you soon.

-> Good bye. I hope to see you soon.

Activity - 7

Fill in the blanks with to + verb or ɸ + verb, using the verbs given in the list. Select the appropriate ones. [climb, do, go, cry, clean, come, walk, laugh, sleep, hear]

  • (a) He is very funny, He makes me _______.

-> He is very funny, He makes me laugh.

  • (b) Please stay with me. I don't want you _______.

-> Please stay with me. I don't want you to go.

  • (c) Do you want to go on a bicycle? No, let's _______.

-> Do you want to go on a bicycle? No, let's walk.

  • (d) Don't wake up tomorrow morning. Let me _______ for some more time.

-> Don't wake up tomorrow morning. Let me sleep for some more time.

  • (e) I helped my brother _______ his room.

-> I helped my brother clean his room.

  • (f) Talk quietly. I don't want anybody _______ us.

-> Talk quietly. I don't want anybody to hear us.

  • (g) We persuaded our teacher _______ with us.

-> We persuaded our teacher to come with us.

  • (h) I saw him _______ over the wall.

-> I saw him climb over the wall.

Activity - 8

Read the following sentences and the hints are given in the brackets. Write another sentence with a related meaning using the hints given.

  • (b) I was sure that Ashok would help me. (I/had/asked/ him / help me)

-> I had asked him to help me.

  • (c) "Don't touch that wire", the man said to me. (man/told/not/touch)

-> The man told me not to touch that wire.

  • (d) My father said that I could use his watch. (Father/allow / use / his watch)

-> Father allowed me to use his watch.

  • (e) He told me that it would be good if I told the police about this accident. (He/advise/report/ to the police)

-> He advised me to report the accident to the police.

  • (f) There is a football match between Mohan Bagan and East Bengal. (You/want/East Bengal / win?)

-> Do you want East Bengal to win?

Activity - 9

Put the verb given in brackets in the proper form, by using to + verb, ɸ + verb or verb-ing, whichever is appropriate.

  • (a) When you see Mr. Dash, remember _______ him my regards. (give)

-> When you see Mr. Dash, remember to give him my regards.

  • (b) I hate _______ what I have heard about you. (repeat)

-> I hate repeating what I have heard about you.

  • (c) I prefer _______ alone. (be)

-> I prefer to be alone.

  • (d) I prefer _______ silent in this case. (remain)

-> I prefer remaining silent in this case.

  • (e) I hate _______ lies. (tell)

-> I hate telling lies.

  • (f) Don't forget _______ the letter. (post)

-> Don't forget to post the letter.

  • (g) Can you ever forget _______ that important letter without any postage on it? (post)

-> Can you ever forget posting that important letter without any postage on it?